Kiwi Cafe Pie and a Beer

maddy62

We have a special running at the moment, get a pie and a beer for only 150 baht. We have a variety of pies, steak, beef, pork and chicken and for those with a sweet tooth apple - though I am not sure how that would go with a beer, maybe a coffee and whipped cream. So if you have the late night munchies or want something quick and easy at luchtime come in and see us. You also get free internet with that.

Hi

Sorry, should have put those things in. We are in Sukhumvit Soi 22, next to Larry's Dive, in the same building. Just look for the large new apartment building being built in 22, we are right next to that. The pies are Oz (or Kiwi sized) not Asian sized and are taste like down under pies as well.

We have a special running at the moment, get a pie and a beer for only 150 baht. We have a variety of pies, steak, beef, pork and chicken and for those with a sweet tooth apple

Earlier this week I was over on Sukhumvit Road, and went in to sample a pie at Kiwi Cafe.

Here is a pie trip report:

The place:

All in one:

• Internet cafe
  • Coffee shop
  • Milk bar / sandwich shop
  • Serves beer, liquor, and a small selection of wine
  • Sightseeing tour desk
  • Large and attractive selection of post cards.
  • Comfortable sofas to read, relax, chat with friends over an iced coffee.

Fitting all that into one floor of one shop house makes things quite cozy.

I'd been in there twice before.

First time was in the first month they'd opened.

Again, about six months ago.

And today.

What I like about Kiwi Cafe:

• Very clean
  • Very neat
  • Well-lighted
  • Quiet
  • Cool ... generous with the air-con

All that is un-like most neighborhood Internet shops which are none of the above, and -- depending on time of day -- can be jammed with schoolboys playing computer games.

Nothing like that here.

Kiwi Cafe is for grownups.

I didn't use the Internet, but I liked the quiet atmosphere.

And the chairs and tables weren't crammed in as at many Internet cafes.

One man using Internet telephone -- it was so quiet that it was possible to do that.

I also looked at the sightseeing tours.

All the standard highlights, at reasonable prices.

I sampled only one pie, so this is not a full food review.

[color:brown]What I liked was the pie was baked in a real oven, not a microwave.[/color]

What I didn't like:

[color:brown]What I didn't like was the pie was baked in a real oven, not a microwave.[/color]

After about half an hour of waiting, I looked around thinking maybe they'd forgot about my order.

When the waitress saw this, she scurried about and brought out my pie.

It was warm on the outside, but cool on the inside.

Obviously not yet cooked thru.

I estimate would take another half hour to get it just right: hot and flaky outside, and hot and bubbling inside.

But I ate following Thai customs.

(Translation: I did not complain and I ate whatever was served to me.)

On the other hand:

The flavour was good.

I liked the added bits of veggies: green peas, carrots and a bit of corn.

It appeared to be a commercial pie, not home-made, but one of pretty good quality.

Size was certainly respectable; not one of those tiny, Asian-style pies that is little larger than a thick biscuit.

The pies served at Kiwi Cafe are a good value for the money.

But you have to know the strategy:

Order your pie when you first walk in, then sit and use the Internet for an hour.

After about an hour, your pie should be cooked just right.

Would I go back?

Sure, if I happened to be walking past and was in the mood for a decent pie and an hour of Internet.

But, if I want a really delicious pie, then it's off to Bull's Head or The Dubliner in the same neighborhood.

(And, it must be said, pay a lot more.)

Should you go there?

If you are staying or living in that neighborhood, and wanting an Internet cafe and something to eat at the same time, Kiwi Cafe would be a perfect destination.

And, if you are a tourist and wanting economical sightseeing tours, have a look in there.

Also, the Kiwi cafe is just a very pleasant place to spend some time.

The comfortable sofas, the variety of food, and the bright and pleasant decor, make it an ideal "living room" for those looking to get out of a small apartment or hotel room.

For those who don't care to spend much time in bars -- and I am one of those -- Kiwi Cafe would be an ideal alternative in that area.

Just remember to allow an hour or so to bake the pie.

Next time I go in, I'll try something else on the menu.

I wonder if they have a club sandwich.

Thank you for the review. I am sorry about the delay it should not take an hour for a pie, it should be about 20 -25 minutes. We are in the process of getting a proper pie warmer from OZ so that you will get your pie much quicker.

As far as eye candy goes we are not a bar - deliberately so, I think there are enough bars in 22 without me adding another one - so there are no bar fines and none of the girls is a "bar girl". Three are students at university, some have boyfriends, some do not. They are more "regular" thai girls, they like farangs but a little reserved initially.

We play an eclectic mix of music, jazz,sting,bare naked ladies,some thai,some kiwi and oz music and whatever else I feel like adding.

If you do have a problem when you are here please let the staff or I know. We are not perfect and do make mistakes but we want you to be have a good relaxed enjoyable time. If you can't get the staff to sort it out then put a message here or you can call me on 0870301840 (Paul)

Have a great day

Archived