Maintaining a 100,000 THB P/M income

Mark

Fair point Mark. I mean that prices of houses are so inflated. Yes I could get a mortgage but with the prices the way they are having to pay out large monthly payments means that I/other people cant now afford other things. Having a house isnt the be all and end all. Repossions are at an all time high because people can t afford the mortgage they have

My point is that rent prices use to cover alot of the mortagage costs, but now it doesnt come close. I think rent and houses prices are way out of line. I can rent a place for 500GBP a month, but if I was to buy this place in Belfast it would be costing me nearly 2000GBP per month in mortagage payments. Thats just not good economics.

Buying a house now just isnt good value, unless you are earning well above the national average wage.

Yoour right Mark it is relevant. I would rather stay in LOS and spend the money renting a decent aprtment with pool etc and enjoy the nightlife of bangkokand travel around the region. Whereas the same money in the UK would mean I would be paying a mortgage and not have much other disposeable income to go out etc. Also I want to have the freedom to be where I want.

The 25k teacher wage is difficult to live on in Bangkok. This would give the feeling of being skint I reckon. You can easily spend 3/4/5 thousand baht per night in Bangkok so this wouldnt give the freedom to do what you want.

Anyway my main point is that buying a house in the UK doesnt make economic sense anymore for first time buyers, students, newly grads etc I think in the UK we have this attitude that we have to own our own house. But in France and other countries in Europe renting is seen as normal enough.

sorry Mark if I seemed blunt in a previous post. You have a good income plan with your bonds and its safe also.

Cheers,

Chris.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got that right.

I'm lucky enough to have a work permit, but I feel sorry for the guys who want to stay in LOS, contribute in a fair way to the economy, be honest and not rort the system and are getting shafted.

Can't see it changing back to how it used to be, to be honest. :(

Yes it sounds good. The only problem is getting this much money in the first place Infact with this much money I would be hoping for more return than that.

Maybe if you are a bought a home alot of years ago in the UK then you can release the equity with the high house prices. But for someone who isnt on the property ladder in the UK its going to be difficult to get this money.

Its now very difficult for first time buyer to afford a house in the UK.

I mean its possible and lots do it' date=' but they havent much left to do anything else. Average house price in the UK is nearly 200,000GBP, which means about nearly 100,000baht a month payments.

The only option is too rent and still be able to buy other stuff and go travelling. [/quote']

Well, I guess if you haven't even got a house, you haven't a chance of retiring in Thailand.

I m only 26, so dont want to retire. I d be too bored. My point is that with house prices at current prices people my age and younger and also older cant afford to comfortably buy.

personally I dont want a millstone around my neck with paying out £2000 a month. Also the cheaper places aren't very nice.

As for house owners not being able to retire in Thailand, I think thats complete rubbish. I work with an internet connection and a laptop from where I want and dont need a home to stay in Thailand. I know lots of people who live in Thailand who aren,t homewoners.

Also its certainly not better to be skint in Thailand.How do you figure that. I ve seen farangs skint in Thailand,dirty feet with sandals, unshaven, alcoholics, and scrounging at the Embassy trying to get an airticket home, and overstayed on their visa. Yep sounds like great fun. being skint anywhere isnt great to be honest.

Mark

If you can't afford to buy a house in the UK, I take it that you don't have anywhere near the magic amount of 670,000 for this plan

CKrisg, I think its me your quoting, and not Mark.

I said that for first time buyers buying a house in the UK isn't good value. Its doesnt make economic sense.

My example was that in Belfast I can rent a house for for £500 per month. If I wanted to buy the same house it would cost nearly £2000 per month in mortgage payments, and I would end up paying twicw the house value over the 20/25 year period.

renting means you pay 4 times less, and not the same level of interest.Better to come to LOS and stay in a nice condo with good facilties and enjoy the ladies of the night, the restaurants, bars, beaches etc.

Archived