DSL / BROADBAND IN BKK????

OK, so I've only been to Thailand once and it was a measly 4 days...hardly enough time to get to know any city, so I'm just going to throw this question out in the dark? Pardon my ignorance...

Does BKK have good DSL or broadband service? IF so, how much does it run and how reliable? If not, is it expected and how reliable is 56k?

The reason I'm asking is because I run a web-design/photography/multi-media biz in the USA part-time. I make a decent amount of money from it, but here in the US it barely pays for my living rent, much less any other bills or living expenses. I am very interested in doing documentary work in the East and think BKK could be a great place to relocate this part-time work and expand into new opportunities and chances to travel and document, etc. Am I dreaming?? Is the internet infrastructure ready for someone like me? Be honest.....be helpful! Thanks

Well I was in the Center Point Hotel (soi 15 phetchbury road) last month, they have internet in every room, free with the room, 256/256Kbit on ethernet.

Got good speed there to send large pictures to my home server. Not recommended for extended stays due to price, but at least they have been able to get a nice internet connection, so you should be too..

*Xantor*

The Internet infrastructure is fine for what you require dependant on where you base yourself. DSL and Cable are available with DSL being more stable at this point in time.

Narrow band quality is fine and about the cheapest in the world - Baht 299 per month (about 6 bucks).

The question you need to ask is to whom and how are you going to sell your services and products?

which provider does have DSL. i asked mine (Samart) and they do not have. they also do not have remote access (call local number in other countries to get connected with the server in thailand), which i am as well interested, as i am travelling a lot.

DSL providers :- QNET (i use them) at www.lensodatacom.co.th

also UBT, they've got a shop in Siam Discovery.

Cable is available to some in bangkok from asianet i think...

DSL is priced per hour of internet usage at moment in thailand - up to approx 25B/hr, although Qnet have some offers - did have a 600hr package valid for 6mths(or 1 year?) once activated that worked out to around 10B/hr.... this is for 64k up and 128k down !! higher speeds are available for more dosh......

beware of bullshit adverts that omit certain useful facts - i was interested in cable modems, think ad stated 900B per month for 30hrs internet time (no its not unlimited....). when i asked extra hrs were 40B.... plus you'd have to dig fairly deep to find out they charge a variable amount depending on how much data you request from international sites, but hey.. thai sites are no extra charge!

SAMAK :-

ps also have used Loxinfo for 56k dialup - they're good, and have GLOBAL ROAMING(ie you call a local number in whatever country you're in and can connect using your loxinfo account details, for extra charges per minute) using Gricdial and another one i forget (!). Good and worked in bangladesh (eeeeeek), indonesia and .. well if it works there it'll probably work anywhere...

coops

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: coops ]

quote:

Originally posted by coops:

DSL providers :- QNET (i use them) at

also UBT, they've got a shop in Siam Discovery.

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: coops ]

I believe UBT is not in siam discovery any more

I have telecom asia/asianet cable modem.. Excellent.. Unlimited for 2200 per month. They seem to have different promotions so keep your eyes open for one that fits your needs.

Cable is via Asia Infonet - if you receive UBC on Cable then fine, if DTH Satellite then you will not be able to use cable (typically). Be careful of email bugs.

DSL - KSC, Loxinfo, Asia Infonet

56k - All ISPs

I asked this same question about six months ago as I believe I might be in the same biz as you Kane. I also have done extensive research and might have all the answers you need. PM me and let's get some details about each other. There may be opportunities for synergy.

I have had ADSL in Bangkok for over a year now and my DSL provider is UBT and my ISP is Loxinfo (you must have both) and I have been very disatisfied with the service. The speeds are nowhere near what is advertised and sometimes you just can't get connected.

When my current hours run out I MAY try another ISP since all the bandwith in the world does you no good if the pipes to the internet are small. The only thing that I have been satisfied with is I can upload jpeg's as attachments really fast and really get the speeds advertised. But otherwise Thailand has a long way to go.

I certainly would not trust it to run a business.

Archived