Mobile/internet hookup?

Does anyone know if it is possible to hook my computer to a mobile phone? I have a Siemens A40 on AIS GSM network. What would I need and what would the calls cost? Reason is I am spending a lot of time upcountry with no landline to the village although the mobile gets a fair signal. Mike P. crazy.gif" border="0crazy.gif" border="0

Siemens, I do not know about (have you checked Siemens support webpages?).

Cost is the same as a regular call -- but very often (at least here in Euroland) you do have to pay a monthly fee for datatransfer capability.

Some more aspects on mobile internet were discussed here:

http://www.nanaplaza.com/~nanaplaza/cgi-b2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000232

Not a perfect answer to your questions, but at least a start wink.gif" border="0

Straycat

quote:

Originally posted by MIKE P.:

Does anyone know
crazy.gif" border="0

If you've got AIS account that is not One-2-Call you can request data access at no extra cost (but this may depend on your account). My lady did it at no cost - she just had to ask AIS to enable data transmission. Connect rates are at 9.6kb and air time only cost. If you've got GPRS then it's .1B/kb or cheaper if using bulk plan but at much fast modem rates without the airtime cost.

Cheers

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Palatkik ]

AFAIK (i.e. a cellphone seller told me)these phones work:

Ericsson (GF768) T39 T65 T68

MOT v.60 v.66

Nokia 6310 8310

Siemans ME45 (S25) S45

Of course these are all new phones (I am looking for a phone that does gprs at the moment). The Siemans come with a serial cable. Otherwise you have to use Irda,* which most laptops have.

*the others may have an optional serial cable, my old MOT l* did.

I don't know anything about what AIS provides, you can always find a link to thier website at www.gsm.org

p.s. Give my.siemens.com at try.

Don't expect any miracles I am connected via gprs on an Ericsson T39 at the moment and it is, well slow, expect worse with plain old gsm

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: Adik Gede ]

Archived