Well-known abbot arrested for allegedly raping Australian girl

limbo

Well-known abbot arrested for allegedly raping Australian girl

Police have arrested a former abbot for allegedly raping an 18-year-old Australian.

Suspect Munee Waewnokyoong, 59, was the abbot of Chanthasamosorn Temple and the monastic chief of Dusit district at the time the alleged sexual assault took place. The victim, who had Vietnamese descent, visited the suspect on January 25 during her vacation here at the suggestion of her mother.

A friend accompanied the victim to the temple.

However, when the suspect saw the victim, he claimed bad luck befell her and she should undergo a ritual to avoid the bad things. After the girl followed him into his quarters for the rite, he raped her.

The victim's mother had respected the monk and was appalled upon hearing about the assault.

With the help of her family, the victim reported the assault to the Australian embassy. The embassy then brought the victim to lodge the complaint with police.

Police arrested Munee Thursday's night.

The Nation 02/02/07

Interesting, my wife told me the same thing a few days ago. We where in China and she had asked a tour guide why so many fake china monks in Thailand and that line came up when she spoke to me later. The guide by the way said DONT give them any money at all. No Chinese monks in Thailand

Maybe there are some, but they aren;t begging for $ in tourist areas

About 5 years ago, there were one or two "monks" who stood near the stairs used to cross the street in front of the Ambassador Hotel on Suk. They had a sign asking for money and would hold a little wooden bowl for the collection.

Above their heads, written on the bottom of the stairs, somebody had used chalk to write in large print "Phony monks, dont give them money!" with a large arrow pointing to the spot where the monks ususally stood.

I dont know if the monks were ever aware of the sign because I saw them there for at least a month or two with the sign. :smirk:

One 'fake' monk was seen on Samui recently, when I was having dinner at a Thai restaurant.

He had a handout about some vague stuff and once you gave him something one received a plastic armwristband, this stating something about Bulgaria. 55555555555

Guest lazyphil

people have fancy dress partys in england on themes, one being tarts and vicars....perhaps they could have something similar in los so men can get their monk fantasys out in the open :crazy:

Archived