Cost of MRI in BKK

Auricman

When you add the cost of 3000 miles for airfare to California plus the cost of hotel, car and other expenses, it would be close to $1000 anyway.

Since I plan to come to LOS anyway in the near future, it seems worthwhile to check into the cost of having it done there.

Why do an MRI? Well, the likelihood is that the problem is a herniated disc. In this case the MRI would not be worth the $1000; but in the remote possibility that the problem is a tumor causing the pain, then surgery would need to be done and an MRI could establish this.

Can anyone give me an estimate of what an MRI of my lower back would cost me in LOS? Here in the U.S. it would cost me around $1000. I could see paying a couple hundred bucks, but $1K is more than I would like to pay.

Thanks.

Just had one a few weeks ago here in BKK...cost: 8,000 baht.

Got the order from the doctor, phoned the place and hussled over there.

They use the newer Siemens MRI systems, a doctor reviews the MRI right there and provides a report in English.

Take the BTS to Mo Chit, then a taxi. Careful, as there are many, many rip off taxis at Mo Chit. The taxi should be no more then 200 Baht even in the rush hour traffic.

Prachachuen MRI Center

86 Prachanivejl

Chatujak, Bangkok

02-953-9469

Having had an MRI in BKK at the cost of 9000 baht, I ended up having surgery at the location in California shown in the link below:

http://www.spinecenter.com/telemedicine-consult-form.asp

The MRI in California was special in that they have a method of simulating your back under stress (as if you were carrying 35 lbs on your shoulders). The BKK showed I had one herniated disc and the one with stress showed 3. So, if you are in CA or would be traveling through you might consider this (although expensive).

Tiger Moth,

That sounds like a good improvement to diagnose problems with the spine. But the downside of all these advances is that the price of medical care escalates to heights that may not be affordable to many people. Those that are insured have the price of insurance escalating as well, because someone has to pay for all these expensive machines. I recently read an interesting book by Dr. John Abramson, called "Overdo$ed America".

In one chapter he talks about the overuse of MRI tests. He says that most of the time when MRI tests are ordered, the orthopedist already suspects that the problem is a herniated disc, and the MRI just confirms, "Yep, the problem is a herniated disc." Years ago doctors diagnosed without the aid of all this expensive equipment, and most of the time they managed OK. The expensive equipment is great for diagnosing the difficult problems, but in reality most of the problems doctors see today are the usual, ordinary medical problems that humans have always faced.

Archived