Gangs violence in Rio

Prosal

but not befor March .... bring in the russians!!

I await for beginning of March a 20 yo romanian girl I met in Bucarest this summer, all charm, feminity and smile. Low maintenance also .... maybe she will be with a girlfriend .... a few cocktails at 'La Comete' will be definitely enought to make them VERY happy.

See you there ?

:smirk: :thumbup:

By the way, if you liked the movie 'Cidade de Deus', you should buy the dvd of the brasilian TV series 'Cidade dos Homens' .. I personnaly liked it better.

Talking about Rio, here are lot of pics and videos (escolas de samba) of the current Carnaval.

Rio remains the 'Cidade Maravilhosa' (wonderful city) in my eyes, whatever the degree of violence which occurs. It's definitely the most beautiful and fascinating city where I've ever been.

Hi Prosal,

As I've said before, a lot of this is the legacy of the Spanish - with the possible exception of Chile, I cant think of a former Spanish colony where the poverty-sticken dont outnumber the rest ('those who arent forced to live in the Barrio/Ghetto/Favela') by more than 100 to 1. That is a formula for the rise of the drug lord etc. The Spanish raped continents and simply moved on when things got too hot. At least the Brits left us with a portrait of the Queen and the recipe for plum pudding. :smirk:

(OK, these are wild generalisations, but other than roads, our parliamentary system, the rule of law, a prosperous rural sector (in 1901) and the English language, what have the Romans done for us anyway ?)

Wasn't Brazil a Portuguese colony? :confused:

TH

I cant think of a former Spanish colony where the poverty-sticken dont outnumber the rest ('those who arent forced to live in the Barrio/Ghetto/Favela') by more than 100 to 1.

Colombia, and especially Bogota, Cartagena, Medellin and Bucaramanga, all cities where security has improved A LOT, is now officially safer than Brasil or Mexico.

Things are changing. The drugs-poverty-and-violence image is definitely not reflecting the real situation of Colombia.

Archived