Security reminder

This is a security reminder to all.

Watch out for unattended bags.

Those of us from the UK are probably very aware of this, as for those of you from other countries learn to be aware of unattended baggage around you and report it.

A few months back, I was in a bar in Nana and spotted a small suitcase, I couldn't rest until I found out who the owner was. I asked everyone near me, I asked the waitresses, everyone, until the owner was found,(The guy doing the KungFu show).

Once you really learn this lesson to be a little paranoid about unattended packages it never leaves you. A small amount of paranoia now could save your lives.

It doesn't have to be a large bag, any package left unattended could possibly be a bomb.

I'm not trying to scare people but it is obviously not over yet. 8 people arrested today in the USA for trying to board a plane, 4 of them, 2 days ago ran from the airport when questioned. Today they returned to the airport and tried to gain boarding. Some reports say they were armed with knives. Two of the 8 were in a pilots rest room. One had false documentation claiming to be a pilot.

rictic--

So true about those "unattended" bags... I'll never the the time I was in London... having just arrived at Heathrow, I was on the tube going to my hotel... I exited the Picadilly line at Earl's Court and was walking up to make the connection with the District line.. Suddenly this loud blaring siren goes off and the loudspeaker comes on to say that we must all exit the station "expeditiously".... It was a mad house to exit the station... everyone filed out to the adjacent Earl's court neighborhoods.. police everywhere.. police dogs.. etc..

When I finally got to my hotel, I turned on the tv to Sky news.. it turns out that the transit police had found a simple shopping bag... but because it was unattended and left under a bench seat..... they took it away and "destroyed" it...

Ever since then I NEVER leave ANYTHING of mine out of my sight...

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Upser,

hearing your story reminds me of what a friend once told me. He had been biking about Isreal, and parked his bike as he had always done, up against a poll where ever he damned well felt. He went to lunch, and heard a loud commotion. After 2+ hours, he heard an explosion, small, but non the less frieghtening. Within a few moments, he found the police/military had "blown his bike in place"so as to distroy a potential bomb, which they believed was concealed in his bike. To end, he had park/left his bike in an unauthorized area, and generated all the aforementioned chaos. Not to mention he spent several hours in custody, explaining himself as a stupid tourist, who didn't read or follow directions. Morol here, don't leave stuff around, and don't put stuff where it doesn't belong. He wasted a lot of the authorities time, and resources that could have served better elsewhere.

A work colleague of mine was intending visiting Northern Ireland for the first time (to see her boyfreinds folks) - as this was about 10 years ago she was understandably nervous of going there (plus she was a catholic and him a prod - which they had not yet shared with the folks back home)

So she asked for some advice from one of our irish colleagues.

After a second or two of thought a sincere answer came back.......

It doesn't matter whether it is raining, if you are late or just in a hurry....... after parking your car in any city centre......never run away from it smile.gif" border="0

You are right.

For sure, there are going to be a few copycat attempts. It looked so damned easy to do what these terrorists did, some guys are going to try to have another go. Unfortunately, I doubt the present stepped up security will last very long. Americans are simply not used to being checked, and being questioned. So after a while the risk will definitively increase, and I also think Europe should watch out.

Rictic saidIt doesn't have to be a large bag, any package left unattended could possibly be a bomb.

Having just spent 30 yrs in the UK this is good advice, you don't have to be paranoid, just prudent.

I shit myself every time I see an unattended package or bag, ANYWHERE!

Archived