Italy indicts 33 in CIA covert anti-terrorism tactic

Fidel

ROME -- The first criminal trial involving one of the Bush administration's most controversial tactics in fighting terrorism is set to begin June 8 after an Italian judge on Friday indicted 33 people -- including two dozen CIA operatives and the man who was Italy's top spy.

Judge Caterina Interlandi ordered the 26 Americans and seven Italians to stand trial in connection with the February 2003 abduction of a radical Egyptian cleric who was snatched in broad daylight on a Milan street and whisked to an Egyptian jail, where he has said he was tortured.

"This is an important moment," lead prosecutor Armando Spataro said in welcoming the indictments.

He urged the Italian government to press ahead with petitions to extradite the defendants.

It is not clear that Italy will seek extradition of the Americans, and more than unlikely that the U.S. government would comply. In fact, it is all but guaranteed that none of the Americans will ever appear in court.

Still, the trial could go ahead because Italian law allows for the prosecution of defendants in absentia. Arrest warrants for all 26 men and women -- 25 suspected CIA operatives including two station chiefs and a U.S. Air Force colonel -- have been issued and apply throughout the European Union.

The case has proved embarrassing to Washington for having exposed the highly secretive and extrajudicial practice known as "extraordinary rendition." After years of denial, the Bush administration now acknowledges the tactic of capturing suspects and transporting them to third countries for interrogation, but denies the sanctioning of torture.

The complicity of several European governments has also been exposed as prosecutors and investigators in Italy, Germany and elsewhere have attempted to build cases against American and European intelligence agents who are believed to have detained hundreds of suspects in extraordinary renditions.

The first trial promises to reveal more details about the covert operations, turning a fresh public spotlight on the Bush administration and its most loyal allies, such as the government of former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.

The cleric at the center of the case, Hassan Osama Nasr, known as Abu Omar, was released without charge from an Egyptian prison in February. Through an attorney, he said he was prepared to return to Italy and wanted to sue Berlusconi and the CIA, following what he described as confinement in a rat-infested cell where guards repeatedly beat him, applied electrical shocks to his body and abused his genitals.

"I have been reduced to a wreck of a human being," Abu Omar said.

An Italian judicial source said he believed one of the CIA officers might have been present at some of the early interrogations.

Abu Omar entered Italy illegally in 1997 and was eventually granted political asylum. Though never charged with a crime, he was under investigation in Italy for allegedly organizing networks that recruited fighters for Iraq. Italian law-enforcement officials said they were about to arrest him when the CIA intervened.

Alessia Sorgato, a lawyer representing three of the indicted American agents, welcomed the decision to go to trial.

"I am happy because finally ... we will be able to clarify the role of (the clients) in this matter," she said in an interview Friday.

It is a sign of the complexity of the case that Sorgato has never met nor spoken to her clients. All attorneys representing the Americans were court-appointed, and the CIA and U.S. government have refused to comment publicly on the case or recognize the court's jurisdiction.

"I never spoke to them. I looked for them many times. I wrote to them many times to the official addresses we have, to the embassy," Sorgato said. "Unfortunately, they never replied."

For evidence, Italian prosecutors relied heavily on an extensive paper trail left by the CIA operatives as they plotted and seized Abu Omar. The agents ran up bills totaling tens of thousands of dollars at Milan's finest hotels and restaurants and chatted openly on traceable cellular telephones. They left behind photocopies of their passports and frequent-flier cards.

Although many of the Americans were using aliases, Italian investigators were able to track phone calls and other contacts to Robert Lady, the now-retired CIA station chief in Milan, and former Rome station chief Jeff Castelli, the CIA's top man in Italy.

After Abu Omar was detained, his captors bundled him into a van and rushed him to U.S.-run Aviano air base in northern Italy. A privately contracted jet flew him to Egypt, with a stopover in the U.S. base at Ramstein, Germany.

Read on

The Italians have a right to be pissed off. If the US wanted the guy, they should have let the local folks to do it.

<< Abu Omar entered Italy illegally in 1997 and was eventually granted political asylum. Though never charged with a crime, he was under investigation in Italy for allegedly organizing networks that recruited fighters for Iraq. Italian law-enforcement officials said they were about to arrest him when the CIA intervened. >>

I understand what you're saying here...but I was referring to the Italians letting Abbas go as being a reason the CIA might have kidnapped this guy. The incident you're talking about was a case of "friendly fire", I'm sure. I haven't heard anything from a knowledgable source to indicate otherwise.

HH

The troop shooting was not informed of the green light for the trnsport. That italian intelligence officer got a state funeral and a hero status, other results were Italy leaving Iraq and that the italian PM and big Bush-friend was kicked out. So the climate for getting cooperation from local police/intelligence was not good and I understand why CIA decided to carry out the operation with own agents.

Archived