bouncing baht

nordicman

my complete n00b outlook:

These articles suggest that all restrictions placed on the baht will be lifted on March 15th. That would mean [i think] that anyone who made a major investment into the Thai baht will be able to dump the currency on the 15th without any penalty. The first article states:

"Those rules, which penalized investors withdrawing funds within a year, aimed to curb baht gains after exporters complained the currency's 16 percent gain last year hurt sales and profits. The Bank of Thailand last week said it would lift most of the restrictions by March 15."

The second article states:

"In December, Thai regulators required banks to lock up 30 percent of new foreign currency deposits without interest for a year to stop investors from speculating on gains in the baht. Investors who investments earlier than a year had to pay a 33 percent penalty on the reserved amount."

Ok so on the 15th i would expect a major sell off by institutions, corporations, and possibly the government.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=a0C7PhdsBpUo

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=asJsgGsO1RZg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so on the 15th i would expect a major sell off by institutions, corporations, and possibly the government.

Actually there will probably be a large buying spree as foreign investor buy into various funds they have been unwilling to with t30% withholding. Expect the baht to take large jump.

TH

I agree. Here's what happened in plain english.

The reserve requirement was specifically designed to curb f/x speculation. What they're worried about is f/x speculators buying up the currency and then dumping all at once. But then of course, the thai stock market crashed because legitimate investors and businesses were scared off as well. So they came up with another idea which is to allow 100% hedge on loans instead of required reserve. So if a Brit wants to invest in thai business by extending a loan, all the money can go to the thai business as long as the Brit buys a contract that will reverse any future gains he makes by receiving baht loan payments. Theoretically, that would let true investors invest and keep speculators out.

But the fact that offshore exchange rate shows a stronger baht means that people are still bullish about the Thai economy. Which probably means that the baht will probably continue to strengthen after the curbs are lifted. Btw, I don't think all the curbs will be lifted. It looks like there will most likely still be a 3-month hold in place and continued hedging requirement.

Oh well.... It has to happen at some point. You can't expect to have a standard of living advantage forever.

Archived