bouncing baht

nordicman

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have noticed that as well. Every morning when I watch CNBC Asia I can see the exchsnge rate jump about two bahts to the dollar. Next morning it is all back again. Must be a gigantic tug of war between Bank of Thailand and another part. Wonder who that other part is. Probably loosing a lot of money in the process by buying the baht up all the time. Wonder who is gonna win...

Paillote

BoT is selling baht to keep it low, so a lot of foreign currencies are accumulated in the bank now - 60 billion dollars I think. If the baht get stronger the value of the foreign reserve is lower and BoT lose money.

However to not inflate the thai economy BoT is issuing bonds at a higher interest than it can get on the foreign currencies. So it cost money to keep the baht low but the price is paid in Thailand.

China is in the same position but of course much bigger with 1 trillion dollars in foreign reserve, at least 60 % in USD.

Yes, but that's not really important. If you have 10 million in your bank suddenly you may have 8 million. What's really important is to make the export easier with a low baht exchange rate, that way also still attracting tourists. I guess without intervention from BoT a dollar was around 30 now.

Wasn't there a big stink about the Chinese governement keeping their currency low so as to increase exports...?

Also, if BoT hadn't intervened, and the Bht gained against the dollar, the pound and the Euro, it would be fucked...and their economy could take a shit...? Also, how much of all this is the work of "Key Thais" manipulating stuff vs. reality? I know the US economy is shit, but is the Thai economy "really" "That" great?

Also, a shift from the ptro dollar to the petro Euro could seriously fuck any/all holding US debt...so while many want the USA to collapse...doing so could have a very negative effect on the world economies...or would it just be a blip on minor importance?

BoT is selling baht to keep it low, so a lot of foreign currencies are accumulated in the bank now - 60 billion dollars I think. If the baht get stronger the value of the foreign reserve is lower and BoT lose money.

However to not inflate the thai economy BoT is issuing bonds at a higher interest than it can get on the foreign currencies. So it cost money to keep the baht low but the price is paid in Thailand.

China is in the same position but of course much bigger with 1 trillion dollars in foreign reserve, at least 60 % in USD.

Wasn't the latest BoT bond coupon rate 4.625%? That is less than they could get in the USA (5.25%). Don't follow what you are saying there. Take a look at Japan for example.

Japan kept its interest rates at 0% (or close to it) for a long time, which kept the yen low. Raising interest rates should, all things being equal, cause the currency to be more valuable. And that is happening now in Japan. Since it has increased the interest rate to 0.5% the value of the yen has, with some struggle, increased. I think it has more to do with whether or not the market believes what Japan is saying about gradually increasing the rate to 1%.

If the Bank of Thailand can get foreigners to buy its bonds (like the USA does) this can delay inflation. Raising interest rates can help with this.

Archived