XP Upgrade

oldie5

Yes my SP1 is a Pantip copy that is why I have not upgraded to SP2. My worry is if I now install a Pantip XPSP2 will that entail losing all that I have on the pc or will it just overwrite and upgrade?

I have been to Device Manager and System. The ethernet is showing as one of the hardware connections. Tried hardware wizard, went through the steps and it says device is properly installed. However when I then connect the modem to the ethernet cable aol fails to connect.

Ok, so the card is installed properly. Fine.

You use AOL software to make the connection or an simple dial-up connection in network connections?

About SP2. No need to get a new CD at Pantip. A new Install is not what you want and it won't let you run it in repair mode as long as you have the wrong old FCKGW ... serial.

Download SP2 from Microsoft. That's about 240MB and should not cause any problem. Run it.

When Install ends with an error - possibly something about a missing or not readable file - your serial is wrong, possibly the good old FCKGW ... You run into that problem send me an email. We'll fix it.

I use the aol software on broadband connection. The ethernet light comes on on the modem when I connect that cable but aol will not move past stage 1 of the 6 connection stages. Go back to usb and everything is fine.

I did try the microsoft site to download SP2 a year or so ago but it detected that my Product Code was not official, so I stayed away since then.

Now that I can see that the pc says the ethernet is correctly installed then I suppose SP2 will not make any difference to that problem, it is just that SP1 will not be supported too much longer.

So I am a bit stuck as to what to do next!

That nice AOL software.

A friend has it. F..ing slows his old computer down.

My guess is that the software must be told how it should connect, which connection to use, or decides when it is installed. I don't know, will look at it when I visit my friend next time.

About SP2 for Windows XP.

Sure you won't need it to solve the current problem.

However you run a serious risk with your unpatched System. Not only should you install SP2 but also the subsequent security updates (see the thread about winboard update packs).

You may download SP2 from winboard

Problems installing it just mail me.

carlton68 Thanks (and to others that have replied)

I head for Bangkok today so will be leaving this little problem at home.

I will be interested to follow up this Aol software issue and will download SP2 from your link when I return at Easter. Cheers.

Off topic here. But I purchased a IEEE 1394 card - new in box. Came with driver CD. Well, it did not work on my Dell Desktop XP. The CD did not work. Then I went to manufacturers website - in China someplace - and they don't even list this device. Either it was real old or bootleg or whatever. It was an unkown brand but did list a website. The company does manufacture computer products - just did not list this one. And I emailed customer support - with the obvious - no response.

The card was inexpensive - but I guess you get what you pay for.

Good chance that you don't need to install any drivers for your firewire card. Put it into your desktop, power up, when XP asks for drivers tell it to search automatically.

Check device manager if everything works. Firewire adapters are located under network adapters.

If your system recognizes the card but can't find the right drivers you might check the actual chip soldered on the board. E.g. VT6306. For this chip the drivers are included in XP so it should work.

Archived