Who Had the Highest Career Points Per Game in Pro Ice Hockey History?

McBif

Here's one that always stumps them in Toronto bars: Wayne Gretzky at 1.92 PPG? Mario Lemieux at 1.88 PPG?

Nope, Victor "Chick" Zamick, a Canadian who stayed on in England after the war and played pro hockey for the Nottingham Panthers and posted an amazing 2.28 PPG over an 11 year career.

"They play hockey in England?" those drunken Torontonians always slur.

A completely unknown figure here in the Dominion is Mr. Zamick. I only heard of him because I spent some time in in Nottingham in the '70s where he ran a dry cleaners.

I'm assuming that's a record, but who knows? Maybe some guy in Lower Slobodia or somewhere beats it.

Go Panthers!

I wonder why Chick never played in the NHL? I have to suppose it was his size: 5'7"/140 lbs. which even in those days was small. Howe was 6'/200 lbs. (Espo, too) and started playing pro the same time as Chick.

Maybe he was making more money over there. 15 pounds a week sounds pretty good for 1947.

Howe was always my old man's favourite player. Remember the "Gordie Howe Hat Trick"? One goal, one assist, one fight. :shocked:

I stand corrected about Chick "staying on in England after the war". He in fact went over to play after the war.

Archived