Kids & LOS

bust

Unfortunately Dr Cynthia's clinic should never be used as a travellers destination. They are understaffed and far to often subjected to time wasting junkets. I once asked what percentege of visitors back-up with aid? Less than 5% I was told. Mae Sot is my favourite plase in LOS. Where else can you get a 3 hour full massage for 300 B

Point taken - agree that the clinic may not a good informal visit site, as "entitled"-feeling foreigners can be a pain in the ass - but places *like* the clinic can benefit (not sure of Mae Tao Clinic's policy towards visitors - though both of us have visited?). If a foreigner is willing to pony up money or goods (ask what they need first - in-kind donations can be more trouble than they're worth) and show the courtesy to first ask if it's possible to visit, it may be in the interest of the organisation to facilitate.

It depends on the organisation and their work - some rely on a low profile for authorities to allow their operations (refugee camps, say), while others generate funds and goodwill thru visitors and volunteers (that dead evangelical Macedonian missionary lady in Calcutta, the Red Cross Snake farm, etc).

Dr. Cynthia's operation has benefited from the kindness of random strangers over the years, and I hope there's a policy in place that finds a balance. *IF* they're open to visitors, then I'd recommend going -- and I definitely recommend supporting the Mao Tao Clinic, whether you visit or not! (Offhand, one place to donate is www.ghap.org - or visit www.maetaoclinic.org).

Kind of got off thread track... sorry!

YimSiam

Archived