Kids & LOS

bust

Have some friends who are planning a trip to LOS and will be taking their 3 girls with them......7,9 and 11. They are a pretty alternate type of family but have never been to LOS although have done Vietnam. They're not the type to bunker down in a resort for 10 days, would rather get out there amongst it. So after some ideas as to what will be practical for them. Any suggestions as I have never travelled with kids in LOS.

Songkran in Chiang Mai would probably be a blast for kids this age but not sure when they are going. While in Chiang Mai they could also do a couple of the tours like river raft, elephant rides -much better than the ones in Phuket.

I see plenty of kids in North Pattaya and while at the resorts, you would never know that Walking Street, Soi 6 ,etc. exist. Might be fun for the parents though if they are the adventourus type. They may want to get a room without a balcony however :grinyes:

They could also bring the kids to Sri Racha Tiger Zoo for a day, maybe the Pattaya Waterpark another day.

I pretty sure that kids would be bored seeing the villages, temples and other attractions that LOS has to offer but just about every kid loves the beach so a stop in Phuket wouldn't be a bad idea.

Le Meridian Resort in Khao Lak is one of the most kid-friendly resorts I have ever seen. Half of the hotel is the family wing, with a kid friendly pool (think water slides). The other side, the spa side, has no kids, so nice segregation. It has a great beach, and free water sports (kayaks, sailing).

Reasonably priced too.

Chiang Mai was my first thought as well. They do plan on heading down to Mae Sot...

Wild and crazy fmaily fun times in Tak! They can go to that jungly restaurant with all the trees in it in Mae Sot... maybe tour a Champion sweatshop? See how 'the other half' lives in Mae La? Sneak across the border with Dr. Cynthia's medics? And day pass to Myawaddy, of course!

Lots of good times to be had...

YimSiam

Actually not that far from what they're interested in. The eldest daughter has a pen-friendship with an orphan at the BMSOH and they may do the 3 day elephant trek up the river. Yep visit the Myawaddy markets is a must.

Suggestions were indeed only half tongue in cheek - of course medic trip across the border is a terrible idea (malaria, landmines, DKBA and other armed groups, etc) and Mae Sot is hardly a tourist destination, but a camp visit, factory visit, Myawaddy markets and especially visit to Dr. Cynthia's (with some donations in hand!) are all good for the 'traveler' type -- you know, "I'm not a tourist, I'm a traveler". (Or the alternative adult version - "I'm not a sex tourist, I'm a sex traveler"). Mae Sot and other towns that size are probably actually quite nice for families, though boring, at least you can walk around with the kids and see some real Thai/Burmese life without being mobbed by touts, traffic, etc, and the attitude is more relaxed.

YimSiam

Archived