Truck finance

torrenova

Just as the missus was about to go and order the truck from Toyota, they seem to have pulled the carpet out from underneath her.

She is putting down 25% which they said was sufficient to not need a guarantor but they seem to be changing their minds.

I cannot contact Toyota Leasing in Korat who would be providing the financing through the Toyota dealership in Nangrong, Buriram.

Has anyone gone through financing ? She has house papers in Nangrong but she does not own the land. She has sufficient income way in excess of the required amount and putting down the thick end of Bt200,000 should have been enough I thought.

Any advice appreciated as this shit is hitting the fan at a very inopportune time and the language barrier prevents me from stepping straight in.

Cheers

Thailand doesn't have western credit scoring as far as I am aware but there is nothing adverse and she has a job from a 5 year old Thai company as a manager. She has not worked there that long but has saved significantly over the last few months since her new position and satisfies all the requirements which were asked when looking at cars etc.

The problem seems to stem from the fact that although the truck would be bought from a garage, the financing would be provided by Toyota Leasing. Now after saying 20% deposit would be sufficient and then raising it to 25% for surity of acceptance, the garage is saying that she would still need a guarantee.

She has not applied for finance and been rejected. Merely, as barristers do, knowing the answers to the questions before asking them is the order of the day. When the answers received keep changing, doubt is cast on the accuracy of the information supplied by the garage. In this instance, this is compounded by a language barrier and the distance between where we live and her home.

Has anyone purchased on credit in Bangkok without having house papers from the Bangkok area ? Or indeed Pattaya for that matter ?

Thailand doesn't have western credit scoring as far as I am aware but there is nothing adverse and she has a job from a 5 year old Thai company as a manager. She has not worked there that long but has saved significantly over the last few months since her new position and satisfies all the requirements which were asked when looking at cars etc.

The problem seems to stem from the fact that although the truck would be bought from a garage, the financing would be provided by Toyota Leasing. Now after saying 20% deposit would be sufficient and then raising it to 25% for surity of acceptance, the garage is saying that she would still need a guarantee.

She has not applied for finance and been rejected. Merely, as barristers do, knowing the answers to the questions before asking them is the order of the day. When the answers received keep changing, doubt is cast on the accuracy of the information supplied by the garage. In this instance, this is compounded by a language barrier and the distance between where we live and her home.

Has anyone purchased on credit in Bangkok without having house papers from the Bangkok area ? Or indeed Pattaya for that matter ?

Have financed 4 cars in Bangkok. Was curious about the guarantor aspect and asked the finance companies. Even if your credit history is really good, you still need a guarantor.

If you make a downpayment of less than 50% then you need a guarantor. I normally downpay 70% and have never needed one.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Try a different Toyota dealer. There's 2 on opposite sides of Sukhumvit heading towards Chonburi (also check in Chonburi - larger dealer, everything in stock). One dealer in Pattaya first told me 25% as I'm on a retirement visa, then wanted more. I went to the other dealer and they were willing to settle for less.

Also, I've noticed in Bangkok Bank that they now offer financing for new vehicles. Just ask for details.

Try a different Toyota dealer. There's 2 on opposite sides of Sukhumvit heading towards Chonburi (also check in Chonburi - larger dealer, everything in stock). One dealer in Pattaya first told me 25% as I'm on a retirement visa, then wanted more. I went to the other dealer and they were willing to settle for less.

Also, I've noticed in Bangkok Bank that they now offer financing for new vehicles. Just ask for details.

The problem is that they say one thing, then another and you're always dealing with the monkeys and not the organ grinders.

Did you eventually get a truck sorted out ?

Archived