The Body Snatchers

This is a crazy country, a crazy part of the world I think. If these things are true, well, be careful out there!

Sis tells me the other day about a woman in Surin who is riding home on a motocyke. She has just picked up her young 5 year old daughter from school. According to police some guy on a bike rode up behind her, smashed her in the skull knocking her off the bike which fell to the ground, and then the guy stole her daughter. Took the kid and drove away with her. Why? Sis dunno, but for sell she says.

Pretty blunt way to swipe a kid. Not much finesse to the crime here of kidnapping. Smash and grab the kid right off the street? I dunno. Sounds a bit odd.

-----------------------

Okay. Sis comes to me a few minutes ago. Starts telling me that on the Surin Cable News Channel just now there was a story. The story was about a man and a woman in Sankrat, a nearby city to Surin. We have some relatives living there.

The story goes that he was a truck driver/owner with a ice factory and truck. He was caught kidnapping people, along with his wife I think it is, that were walking alone in the nearby villages and towns at night. He was supposedly killing them and placing them on ice, so he could harvest their body parts to sell to a Thai hospital who use the body parts for rich Singaporeans who need replacement parts. Whether this is on a contract basis with certain sex and body types being asked for ahead of time, or something else she couldn't say. But she did say that men, women, and even children have disappeared in that area.

Think of it if this were true. Someone was kidnapping people they would find in lonely dark areas that fit the needed body type, and then are assualted/kidnapped, murdered for their body parts to be harvested for some rich Chinese twat.

It sounds just crazy enough to be true. And happening in Isaan Thailand. Just down the road. No late night village bicycle rides for me. I hope these two were the only ones doing this (supposedly caught now). Although I have very few body parts worth much to anyone any more.

Sis, who had some surgery a while back is wondering if she still has both her kidneys. She doesn't trust the doctors to not grab a kidney to sell while they have you knocked out and opened up. Hey, how would you ever know? :)

If I hear more to fill in and maybe explain what she saw on the news I will post more. Fucking ghouls! Body Snatchers!

Cent

However, despite anti rejection medication, finding a good match (such as blood type) is difficult...so then, people are being murdered for their body parts, seemingly at random, with an extremely high probability they wouldn't be a suitable donar...and therefore totally useless...i think it's an urban myth...just doesn't make any sense.

It's definately making the rounds at the moment though, although I more and more tend to think of it as an urban myth as well.

It's interesting to see the TV angle, used by the local Thai women, Cent's sis in law, my wife.

Anyway, if this really was happening, I'm almost sure there would be a bigger public outcry.

Zombie,

Yeah, the whole thing smells funny. Donor match is a big deal, freshness of organs (hell, they take it from one body -kept alive until the organ can be harvested if possible- and fly it by helicopter/aircraft to the recipient, in the states this is. All legal.

So, some couple in bumfuck Burirum kidnaps and kills people and takes organs to some Thai hospital for implanting? Just doesn't work for me. I vote urban legend.

I'll question Sis more on this and see if she really heard it on TV, or what exactly they said on the TV (shit, they might just be reporting that it is an urban legend! :-) )

Cent

Cent,

Good to see you back again. Where have you been, have a look into this thread started by Thalenoi. Deals with the same subject, the plot is thickening.

Limbo,

Good to be back. Was in the states a while, longer than anticipated really. Taxes, family stuff, elderly parent issues, etc. But, was nice to be there for my 1st grandchild's birth, and all the farang holidays with family and friends. Luckily not much snow this year in New England where I was, but still cold enough for me to want to leave quickly as I could! :) :thumbdown:

I tried to keep up but the internet connection I had was dodgy at times, slow, and I had lots to get done as well.

Back in Surin, and loving it.

Cent

The Body SnatchersThe Illegal Trade in Human Remains Is Big Business and Little Is Being Done to Stop It

Make no bones about it, the illicit trade in human body parts is big business and no one â?? particularly the federal government â?? seems to be doing much about it.

Two men were arrested this past week for stealing cadavers from the UCLA medical school and selling them for parts three years after the case was first uncovered. Still, experts say little is being done on a broader scale to stop what appears to be a growing and lucrative, if not grisly, trade.

Henry Reid, 57, who directed the willed body program at UCLA, was accused March 7 of selling $43,000 worth of human remains to Ernest Nelson, 49, from May 1999 to February 2004. In its complaint, The Los Angeles County District Attorney accused Nelson, who operated the Empire Anatomical Co., of making more than $1 million by selling the parts to more than 20 private, medical, pharmaceutical and hospital research companies including Johnson & Johnson.

It is difficult to regulate the sale of human remains because the buyers are often large corporations, like Johnson & Johnson, that use cadavers to train physicians in new techniques with equipment they've developed, according to Todd Olson, a professor of anatomy at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York.

"I don't realistically see that we can ask the federal government to regulate this â?¦ [or] that it will do anything but create loopholes and profiteers and solidify the role of corporate profit makers working in the shades and shadows of the current system," Olson said.

Olson suggests that change must begin with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education. ACCME is the body that pairs surgeons with health companies for training in newly developed technologies. Fixing ACCME, he says, would be an "overnight solution that would address two-thirds to three-quarters of the problem." The organization needs only to demand that body parts used in its courses and provided by corporations are properly obtained and tracked.

Though Olson is pessimistic that government can play an effective role in regulating the trade of body parts, he does believe that a national clearinghouse that could distribute "surplus material to institutions in need" could cut down on some abuses.

Link

Archived