Autism and mixed race children

SiLeakHunt

This sounds a bit unsavory and it might just be coincidence, but I've recently heard of more than a couple of people who have had mixed race farang/thai kids who've been diagnosed with Autism.

I've got a fair sized network of friends in the UK and know of one couple who have an autistic child, a smaller network in LOS and a higher number of their offspring are autistic.

Is this just a coincidence in my circle of friends or are the numbers of autistic kids higher in farang/thai relationships than usual? Can anyone find evidence to support this ?

Cheers

The problem is that largely, little is clearly known about what causes autism. "Autism" itself is a fairly broad spectrum of illnesses, making things even more difficult.

One thing that for quite a while was *thought* be associated with autism was parental age (off hand can't recall whether it was mothers or fathers age that was though to be important). However, newer studies don't seem to support his. One good study is here:

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/161/10/916

Its a *bit* technical, but the conclusions can be got from the intro and discussion, and you should be able to read at least parts of it. Its based on a large study, so probably the conclusions are reasonable.

They find two sets of factors being important:

"birth problems" (my term) - breech birth, low weight of baby, shortish pregnancy, low APGAR score and

"loony parents" (my term), parents who have some form of mental/psychological distrubance.

Both of these are more likely to lead to an autistic child.

So, to get back to your question, there is no reason to think that Thai/farang kids are more likely to have autistic children - BUT, depending upon the nature of the specific couple, there maybe a greater chance of a risk factor being present.

A point to bear in mind is that sometimes "clustering" can occur, just by chance.

-j-

>Not wanting to offend my friends, but "loony parents" might equate to "Loony Bargirls"

LOL. Thats what was in my mind, and thought you might pick it up. Did not know where your friends wives were from, so thought I would be discrete (for once!!).

-j-

>Surprised nobody picked up on it.

Nowt to pick up on.

If you are digging for an "agent orange" link, well, there is no real evidence of a link between autism and agent orange (or indeed other dioxins).

Reasonable link for agent orange, and associated defects that are *thought* or *might* be linked to agent orange exposure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange

-j-

josh.......of course there is no real evidence of a link between autism and agent orange (or indeed other dioxins). Can you imagine if there was. Reality is there's a mountain of evidence just nobody wants to admit it.

Archived