15 Sailors Free

ChristianTroy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I think Iran handled the situation masterfully.

This incident should be viewed in the political and historical context of relations between the West and Iran.

The Brits & the Americans were complicit in overthrowing a previous, less extreme Iranian regime through covert action (including terrorist attacks), and installing a totalitarian dictator complete with CIA-trained secret police.

And, while this may not be a popular opinion on the board, I firmly believe that the Brits & the Yanks have absolutely no right to be there in the first place.

They are imperialists and are only after the region's natural resources.

It is interesting that nationalism/patriotism remains so potent in shaping public opinion towards situations like this, especially since the "Western interests" the Brits and Yanks are "protecting" are not the interests of the average Joe, but of the wealthy Western/Arabian elites.

:soapbox::scared:

Well, FOX "news" did indeed have a field day talking down to the "evil" Iranians, but never mentioned whether or not the sailors really were in Iran's waters. If so, than I wouldn't say it was surprising they would be taken.

A good bit of diplomacy all around...which makes Bush hamhandedness look even more incompetant. Thank God he wasn't involved in these negotiations or we'd be in World War 3 by now.

On the lighter side, Bush broke a long standing tradition Monday by not throwing out the ceremonial first pitch to start the baseball season. Seems he was afraid he'd be booed. Instead, he went to visit an army barracks (where they aren't allowed to boo) and made a greatest hits speech of lines he's used for years. No boo's, but nothing on the applause lines either.

Meanwhile, Bush's "brain" Karl Rove was attacked by protesters after giving a sppech to young Repub's at American University.

The first national television ad has been shown by a Republican contender for the White House in next years election...and as usual it's an attack ad. The unusual bit...it attacks George W Bush.

So fun to be a Democrat right now!

There is NOTHING cool about that sort of fireworks. The shame should be on yourself for thinking that way.

Ahemm...you missed the sarcasm in my post. If you read my posts on political subjects it shouldn't be too hard to figure what I really think of American foreign policies. Americans have already killed more civilians than Pol Pot.

Archived