Songkran first day: 41 dead, 514 injured

limbo

As expected, the count's going up;

Sonkran death toll rises to 169 after 3 days

Road accidents in the first three days of the seven dangerous Sonkran holidays saw 169 people killed and 2,296 others injured, Deputy Public Health Minister Morakot Kornkasem said Saturday.

Morakot told a press conference that 2,032 accidents occurred from Wednesday to Friday.

On Friday alone, 965 accidents occurred, killing 71 people and injuring 1,062 others.

Nakhon Phanom and Khon Kaen were the provinces with highest death toll with six persons killed in each province, Morakot said.

Most or 45.6 per cent of the accidents were caused by drunk driving, he said.

The Nation 14/04/07

Took the motorsai up to soi 22 yesterday afternoon. Went up Suk, no problem, turn on to Rama IV, still no problem (meaning I didn't get soaked at all with water), took the short cut up the alley to soi 22.

Several spots in the alley, they were dousing everyone and anything with water, but I made it thru with but a small spray. Turned on to soi 22 and they had ambushes all along soi 22, but only got a mild spraying.

I sat outside a pub near soi 22 and watched the going ons. Looked to be at least 50% or more farang throwing buckets of water! A controlled fun time was being had as they were mostly dousing each other.

Saw one farang, I had seen him around for about one year now and he was crying his eyes out and swearing at the lovely young Thai lady not to douse him...she stood her ground and let it rip!

I dressed accordingly, packaged my items in plastic bags, wore a cotton quick drying shirt and shorts and my usual flip-flops, so I was good to go!

Going back to the house, after 7 PM, there was nothing going on, a dry and easy ride.

If I am carrying a gun I am fair game, if I am dressed for business I am not playing. Why cannot even the most stupid Thai or westerner see that ?

Seems like some people get a "pass". I was watching and the motorsai taxi guys, with the orange vest, do not get doused.

Also most of the pizza and delivery people, taxi drivers and a few others escape.

As a farang, we seem to be a target!

If I am carrying a gun I am fair game' date=' if I am dressed for business I am not playing. Why cannot even the most stupid Thai or westerner see that ?[/quote']

Seems like some people get a "pass". I was watching and the motorsai taxi guys, with the orange vest, do not get doused.

Also most of the pizza and delivery people, taxi drivers and a few others escape.

As a farang, we seem to be a target!

Cultural Payback is a BITCH!!!

:mad::mad::banghead: :onfire:

Archived