Could I have avoided reformatting my harddrive? PLS SAY NO...LOST DATA.

junglesoup

I had been putting my laptop onto hibernate alot lately which meant my virus software called pc tools didnt download updates. Pretty crappy software and I ll not be using it again.

Anyway, I got an alert coming up yesterday that said backdoor trojan, malware and some virus called win32 trojan or something. So I tried to go onto download.com and qucikly use a spyware sweeper and anti virus program but my computer just froze before I could get on to it.I nearly did but just could get the site opened.

But then some other software which seemed to download itself when the spyware alert came said it had found 33 threats and to buy the software online. Is that a scam to get you ro buy the software?

Anyway I turned the computer off and on, tried different reboots but the muouse pointer was froze. Nothing could I do...

It stayed like this for 5 hours. Then I gave up.

Tried to put anti virus norton CD in but nothing would start...

Just said fuk it, and reformatted the whole thing.

Lost my itunes music library, had backed up some but lost the rest. Had just download 3 albums that day :mad:

Lost all my other stuff. Now in the process of getting all my software back again. Lost all my photos and lots of other stuff.

From now on I must back the stuff up. I know it was naive...but too late now to worry.

Now...could I have avoided this? What could I have done?

Would it be beneficial for me to create a partition?

I think next time I get a laptop I m goung to get a MAC. I m told I can run windows on it also because there is some stuff I can only do with windows XP.

The MACs sont get these virus really and if a crash does happen it said that MAC stores all your music library seperately.

Having read reviews with Vista and the many bugs I think MAC laptop will be my next choice.

your thoughts...

Well, you were a bit fast with formatting your hard drive.

Regarding the software you were offered: that's a scam from the very same people that infected your computer in the first place.

Sometimes it's easier to just set up fresh than trying to repair Windows. But even in these cases you should be able to save your data before you format. First things on my mind are Ultimate Boot CD, Ultimate Boot CD for Windows and Knoppix.

And of course, the mother of all lifesavers: a recent backup of your important data / the whole System.

You might be a little saver with a MAC, but not really save because in your case - sorry for being blunt - the security risk is not the operating system but the operator.

i tried that, but it said on their website that its important to back up your music regualarly because if you lose it then well you lose it.

Itunes make it easy to do by a thing called smartplay lists. Luckily I backed most up apart from the recent stuff. It also said on their site that the MAC backs it up automatically in case of a crash.

Archived