30 day stamp on Arrival - ticket for longer?

David99UK

2 weeks till I hit BKK, not been since last year :( .......booked a ticket to BKK with a return date 6 weeks later (I can pay to change this date, but probably will not need to - but I always like to have the choice :D ) on the basis that I am intending to do a side trip for a few days or so (HK is favourite at the moment) at some point - but just not sure when so have not bought a ticket. Plus it's just easier / cheaper to pick one up from my usual travel agent in BKK.

Obviously I never even thought about any "new" visa rules :confused: - anyone reckon I will have any problems getting the usual 30 day stamp in my passport, despite my return ticket being longer?

(yeah, I have done a search, but most things seem to be about repeat trips and I am nowhere close to being OTT on the days in Thailand over the last year, albeit I do have a passport full of overstays from times passed :grin: )

I think I am just worrying about bugger all, but........

Cheers folks. I don't think I have ever been to Thailand before with a return ticket less than 30 days and never bothered about it......I guess I am just looking for things to worry about, like I don't have enuf already. 2 weeks till we iz married :shocked: :grin:

(If I do have to tell Miss Trouble that I am in Bangkok, BUT am now going straight home........I will be back here to ask advice / get someone else to do phone her :grin: )

• 2 weeks later...

david do inform me miss trouble digits will ye? ;)

as others already said noone ever bother to check return tickets at bkk immigration, but your airline might ask you at checkin how you plan to manage you more than 30day stay & your HK side trip will be perfect explanation even if its not true :)

• 5 weeks later...
david do inform me miss trouble digits will ye? ;)

as others already said noone ever bother to check return tickets at bkk immigration, but your airline might ask you at checkin how you plan to manage you more than 30day stay & your HK side trip will be perfect explanation even if its not true :)

Latest posts on Thai Visa dot com suggest that the immigration guys at BKK airport are now asking for onward tickets for those arriving expecting 30 day visa exempt stamps. Anyone else experience this as of late??

David

the officers are supposed to check your tickets, they usually don't do it but if you wanna be 100% sure without stomach pain on the plane I suggest you go on www.airasia.com and book some cheap ass ticket to somewhere on the 30th day. Should get it for 50 backs or so and if you intend to do a visa run you could actually use it, and if you are trying to get a visa extension (which is the better method since it doesn't add up to your 90 days) you just let the ticket expire!

Had to deal with the whole visa thing for my cousin 5 weeks ago and have actually spoken to immigration officers now, you usually will not experience ANY problems when arriving on a plane. What they want is to get rid off those guys who live illegally in the country, they want them to come back with a decent visa!

I booked a 12 month ticket but due to the same issue got a return date for 30 days after arrival. Then when it came towards time to return I rang the airline to amend. The actual paper ticket hasn't been amended but hopefully they've amended their records to cancel my return on that date.

Anyway, cut to the chase, I've just entered Thailand again from Laos about a week and a half ago. The guy at immigration up north asked to see my ticket. I gave it to him and he didn't bother checking the date. If he had don't know what he'd have said as according to the ticket I flew back on the 14th March! :shocked:

Archived