30 day stamp on Arrival - ticket for longer?

David99UK

Hi!

I asked an imigration officer once and he said that the worst thing that can happen if you have money and look respectable is that you will be accompanied by an officer to buy a ticket out within 30 days. This has happened to a Swede I know that came from Indonesia but he didn't have a return ticket at all.

On the other hand one can run into problems while checking in. It has happened that people have been refused to check in because their return ticket wasn't in order.

Personally I always get a booked return flight within the legal time and then change it if I want to stay longer.

regards

ALHOLK

I came in yesterday on a one-way tkt for a 30 day visa exempt stamp. I asked beforehand at airline check in (AirAsia) in if it was ok to travel and they said yes. At BKK airport the subject wasn't even discussed and I was allowed in. So seems like situation unchanged and recent threads on Thai Visa and this weeks Stickman Blog about Jetstar passengers getting hassled not the whole story. I have never had an onward ticket when I come here, as I usually don't know where I will be flying to next and buy all my tkts in BKK.

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't be any problem, as most agree -- as I recall, the immigration at the airport only ask to see your passport, immigration card, and boarding pass, not onward ticket, when you're asking for 30 days and wearing your singlet under a more respectable outer layer...

Kinda surprised to see this tread still going strong.........so will post what happened to me.

Arrived in BKK, filled out my immigration card with my return flight number. 30 days stamped in my passport. no one queried anything let alone asked to see my return ticket.

In the event we did not visit Hongkong and my trip lasted 41 days, no problem methinks (I had already thought ahead that the HK trip may be cancelled when booking my trip), and I knew the answer was either a couple of thousand Baht in fines or a 10 day visa extension and maybe a 1 day overstay fine of 200B.

Some of you will already be ahead of me here :mad::).............

Of course after many years of 10 day extentions and 200B per day overstay fines the rules changed around March (??) 2007. :(

Now only 7 day extentions (still at B1900) and overstays now at 500b per day (Actually per the immigration sign at BKK airport the first day of overstay is FREE, 2 days is 1000B and then 500B thereafter).

I did the maths and it was either B5500 in overstays or B3900 for an extention and a few days overstay. The immigration at BKK airport were still their complete indifferent self about minor overstaying.

I dunno the logic for going from 10 down to 7 days on the visa extension, but to be honest I have no great problem with the increase from 200B to 500B per day.

Also nice to have the bye bye tax now paid on my ticket (which I only found out be asking at the airport - which BTW went 100% smoothly on the way out.....and now BK not KFC!!!).

I would go and find out about what sort of visa I can now get as a Married man, but hopefully for me only 1 more (very short) trip left to make.......

A very valid point, and one which I did consider more seriously than times passed. Partly due to the tightening up on Visas in general, the new Govt.......but mainly I guess because I was sober a lot more - and actually thought about it / gave a shit :smirk: (done over a month visa less before (I was drunk :D ), and half my passport stamps are overstays :smirk: ).

Even if it had not worked out cheaper than paying the fines, I would still have gone for the 7 day Visa Extension.

Obviously I was still visa less for 4 days, but still better risk wise than 11 days.....of course I would not of course recomend that anyone follow my course of action and be visa less in Thailand.....

I figured that as my last days in Thailand were quiet and mostly spent away from lower Sukhumvit (and sober!) that I was probably not going to be encountering any situations that involved a police interaction......balanced against the cost and aggro of a Visa run.

Of course, next time the MIB will have a Visa check outside BKK airport :shocked:

Archived