Everyone is going to the Moon! (Why??)

David99UK

Last I heard is that USA, Russia, China, India (and Japan) are going to the moon in the next 5 /10 years.

Call me sceptical :grin: , but something makes me think that they have not all decided to do this for the good of mankind or even for national ego (it's fookin expensive).

I even recall mutterings about the UK doing some sort of mission.........and if the UK govt is getting off it's butt to do anything that requires forward planning then I figure that something must be going on!

Anyone know (or at least want to share some wild speculation :grin: ) about why the sudden rush ( I presume the moon is not going anywhere???)

one Man definately wanted to go.

the legendary Scotty.

On July 20, 2005, at 5:30 in the morning, James Montgomery Doohan died at his home in Redmond, Washington with his wife Wende and long-time friend and agent, Steve Stevens at his side. His agent identified the cause as pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease. In what may be regarded as an ironic coincidence, Doohan died on the anniversary of the Apollo 11 lunar landing, arguably the greatest engineering achievement in human history.

Almost two years after his death, approximately one-quarter ounce (7 grams) of Doohan's ashes were sent into space,as he had requested in his will. The ashes, along with those of Mercury astronaut Gordon Cooper as well as almost 200 others, were launched on the SpaceLoft XL rocket, on April 28, 2007. The rest of his remains were scattered over Puget Sound in Washington.

and don't forget that Gene Roddenbury was also sent towards the moon.....

.....Almost two years after his death, approximately one-quarter ounce (7 grams) of Doohan's ashes were sent into space,as he had requested in his will......

I thought this was quite neat until I heard that their ashes were only in space for a few minutes before returning to earth. I could see the point of it if they floated around in space for eternity, but just a few minutes. :dunno:

Archived