Sihanoukville & Siam Reap

unit731

Are you serious?

It wasn't just me who objected. The western couple behind also objected.

So you think it's okay to be ripped off by these cunts? You'd be happy to leave your own country and for immigration to hit you up for a few quid? And then when you go to the country that you've paid a visa for their immigration also demand cash with the threat that you won't be allowed in? You'd pay without a whimper?

Or do you have a threshold over which they can't go? So it would be alright for a couple of dollars? But 10 dollars would be a no no? Don't forget you've had to go to all the hassle to go and get a fucking Lao visa for $40 which means you have their government's permission to enter. A right you've had to pay through the nose for.

The bastards at Koh Kong going into Cambo want 1200 baht instead of $20 US. Current exchange rate in local money changer last night was 34 baht to the dollar which makes 20 bucks 680 baht. So they want almost double the actual fee!

:yeahthat:

Spot-fucking-on.

I'm sick of Cambodian immigration officials trying it on to make a quick-buck almost EVERY time I go there for a work trip.

There's that many Cambo business visas in my passport. Not that that makes me special in any way, but you'd think that they wouldn't try it on to someone who goes there that often and knows what the score "should be".

Then again, they do it because they can.

Pure and simple.

Protest the scam if you must but keep it civil; a fellow in front of me at the Koh Kong crossing got a touch too belligerent and received an "ENTRY DENIED" stamp in his passport, not a good thing to have.

He didn't know when to stop and started making threats, but not for long; he was physically tossed back into Thailand, then the Thai immigration officials gave him a hard time. I didn't see the final outcome.

The only thing that might change this highway robbery is for Western countries (from which most of Cambo's tourists hail and from which most foreign aid originates)to protest as a group and back the protests with threats to withhold aid or deny their citizens the right to enter Cambo.

Mutha-fuckin scumbags.

HH

Another blantant case of corruption in Cambodia is the road between the border at Poitpet and Siem Reap.

This was supposed to be paved 4 years ago. Then it kept getting put back a year. Now work is supposed to start in 2008.

This is the road that tourists would be most likely to use if they travelled overland to Siem Reap. If it was paved all the way, it would be about 5 or 6 hours from Bangkok - Siem Reap.

Only slightly over 100km from Poipet to Siem Reap now, but this can take 5 or 6 hours depending on how bad/wet/muddy the road is and how many bridges are down.

Can't see the re-making of the road happening as long as Bangkok Airways keeps paying Hun Sen and his cronies to *NOT* pave the road so that most people will still fly and pay the outrageous fares that Bangkok Airways charge on this sector.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing that might change this highway robbery is for Western countries (from which most of Cambo's tourists hail and from which most foreign aid originates)to protest as a group and back the protests with threats to withhold aid or deny their citizens the right to enter Cambo.

Mutha-fuckin scumbags.

HH

I don't know guys - I just find it hard to get so angry over a pound.

I can't see myself spending the time to form a group and protest. I'd rather let the quid slide, let the poor fucker buys few plates of kow man gia for his kids and hurry on over the border and get my cock into his sister.

Call me a pussy but it takes a bit more of a blagging to get my juices flowing into protesting or hurting the skinny fucker.

Archived