Working in Hong Kong

I'm paying ~HK$15k/mth for a 1200 sq ft (~120 sq m) flat in the "suburban" New Territories. Best bet is to look at the online listings of one of the local real estate companies to get an idea for prices in various locations. Try Centaline for example.

Bear in mind that average size home in HK is 500-700 sq ft, and this will include 2-3 bedrooms, rooms are very small, also the quoted area in sq ft is not the usable area, it will include windowsills, thickness of the walls, a share of the common areas in the development and so on.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the input, prices seem to be all over the place.

We're keeping an eye open for HKG but doubt it'll be before a year and half if ever. First we're applying for a booth in international fairs there and see if we can get space - far from easy.

Ijs5

Noticed in Shenzhen the rooms beeing smaller than advertised in serviced appartments, and got the same explanation from the wife that they were including the walls thinckness in. Couldn't actually get large 1BR appartments and we finally moved to the inlaws house in Buji, more space that I can ever dream of in Paris or HKG, but sure a bit far for daily trips to HKG

Food is great BTW all over Guangdong in my small experience there.

Sweet Far East...

prices seem to be all over the place.

Err, not really. Actually very consistent, price per square foot gets less the further you are from the urban area, same as with most cities. Plus you pay a premium for a higher floor and/or a sea view.

What price could you expect to pay in for a 150sqm apartment, central but not necessarily top building ? Mid Levels for instance, Or some residential area closer to the chinese border ?

You'd be looking at something like HK$35k - HK$40k per month for 1500 sq ft in Mid Levels. Bear in mind that the average family income in HK is (I think) around HK$17k/mth.

The price will vary for an apartment with this sort of floor area, but nearer the border, depending on the exact location, but you'd probably be looking at something in the region of HK$16k - HK$25k/mth

Archived