Working in Hong Kong

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Work culture - depends on type of job.

Generally all long hours as someone else stated but may not always be working that hard.

As an expat, opportunites to get more responsibilities and faster promotions often than at home if in multi-nationals.

If in local companies may be a bit more frustrating.

Salaries - would expect to match what can get at home but with less tax (unless American as they chase you around the world...).

Life-style - can get everything you want from home and usually reasonably priced compared to Western countries but ridiculously expensive compared to rest of Asia...

Main downside - accomodation. Most people are in shoe boxes for high rental costs.

Girls - choose your pick. Amongst friends we have western wives, thai wives, chinese (local and mainland) wives, filipino wives and then girlfriends mixed between the lot...

geoexpat and asiaexpat both good sites for more questions/info as well - personally use the geoexpat one.

"Main downside - accomodation. Most people are in shoe boxes for high rental costs."

What price could you expect to pay in for a 150sqm apartment, central but not necessarily top building ? Mid Levels for instance, Or some residential area closer to the chinese border ?

Gonna be crap but everything works in feet rather than metres here and not sure on conversion.

Give an idea though, I pay $6000 for 700 square foot village house (just 1 floor) in a rural area.

Would expect similar priced near border.

Central - similar apartemnt would probably be significantly more but haven't looked in years...

What price could you expect to pay in for a 150sqm apartment, central but not necessarily top building ? Mid Levels for instance...

In 2001-02 I (err, my employer) was paying US$8,600 for something like that in Mid-levels.

I love Hong Kong. It's my second choice for a "money no object" place to live, behind Tokyo. Both cities shit all over BKK in any category save total $$ spent.

Cheers,

SD

Yeah - that's HK dollars.

As said though - I live in fairly rural HK.

Prices on HK Island a lot higher - the real expat contracts will have allowances in the HK$40-100,000 and will have comparable places to what they would expect at home (I think...)

Archived