Working in Hong Kong

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked there for a while (1992-1993) and have been back several times since. I certainly like it, but then I'm not sure whether this is just nostalgia. On the plus side, it has a modern and impressive skyline, good infrastructure, outstanding resturants and shopping malls, superb transportation, interesting history, and plenty of local attractions (Star Ferry, Victoria Peak, Night Markets, Disneyworld, Island hopping etc.). On the flip side, its Chinese, and you unfortunately are a Gweilo. The locals are not particularly friendly. They spit, they burp, and have no respect for animals. There is no obvious religion to speak of. Money is a major, major issue. It's expensive, claustrophobic, and comparatively polluted. An intriguing place. Not at all simuilar to Thailand. As for the P4P scene. Very limited. A couple of streets in Wanchai offer some expensive behind-curtains intimacy with Thai girls (at a price). Like somethng out of the 60's. Most people I knew flew to BKK or Manila instead. It worked out cheaper. Having said that, there are plenty of regular bars where your chances of scoring with some foreign (including Filipino maids) or local talent is good.

Good Luck my friend. :)

Big fan of HK - been here 10 years now.

Can earn enough money to go to Thailand monthly (if I had the time off...)

Settled now and out in the jungle (there's more jungle than city here) so not that up to date on girls front but was never a prob to find Asians or Western women who were game on.

P4P not in same class once been to Thailand but got here first so had a lot of fun here before realised the cost compared to rest of Asia.

What more do you want to know???

" Most people I knew flew to BKK or Manila instead. It worked out cheaper"

Shenzhen is only a few minutes drive from HKG with lotsa affordable nightlife and girls... sure it's not an easy place to manage without speaking chinese or having an interpreter at hand.

BKK would be such a better place if I didn't need to drink so much before finding the hos attractive...

and money is sure a more interesting issue than other religions.

Kojis, not a huge HKG fan though

" Most people I knew flew to BKK or Manila instead. It worked out cheaper"

Shenzhen is only a few minutes drive from HKG with lotsa affordable nightlife and girls... sure it's not an easy place to manage without speaking chinese or having an interpreter at hand.

BKK would be such a better place if I didn't need to drink so much before finding the hos attractive...

and money is sure a more interesting issue than other religions.

Kojis, not a huge HKG fan though

If you stick with the Shekou area, Chinese nor interpreter is not needed.

Not any different then any other expat area in Asia:

Beer and women readily available....

Not a fan either.

What more do you want to know???

What is the work culture like in HK? Uber-aggressive, type-A like NY? More balanced like California? Heavy into showing your face and kissing your bosses ass like Toyko, Seoul?

Is the work culture more western and feature more merit based rewards? Or is it more relationship based with few opportunities for fast track advancement?

Do expats date expats or do they date locals as well?

If someone is making $300K in NY, how much do you think he'd have to be making in HK to be whole?

Work environment is more Asian than Western, lots of face involved, Confucian / paternalistic / autocratic / authoritarian management style. Not done to express an opinion or talk back to the boss. Long working hours, but a lot of work does not always get done, because not seen to be good to leave before the boss does, also probably more space in the office than at home, and you are not paying for the aircon. Can be very frustrating at times.

But there are lots of good points about working here as well, I've been in HK for more than 10 years now, and still enjoying it. Food is great and varied, very cheap and easy to get around, taxes are low, very good location for travel elsewhere in SE Asia, nightlife is good (IMHO), it's a very dynamic 24 hour city, can get almost anything here (if you know where to look).

Better forums than this one for getting information about living and working in HK:

AsiaXpat

GeoExpat

HKExpats

GeoExpat in particular has a forum section devoted to answering queries from people thinking about moving to HK.

In my limited experience, it's a very polarising place for westerners, they either hate it and leave after a couple of years and love it and stay for as long as they can.

If the OP comes, hope he falls into the second category.

Archived