Extract Hoods

The_Munchmaster

Over lunch today Teddy and I were discussing woks (yes woks not wogs) and I remarked to Teddy (who's a bit anal about these things) that using a wok in an apartment with an open kitchen wasn't really feasible due to the fumes and hence smell produced when wokking at high temperature.

Teddy's response was that cooker hoods are much more efficient these days (he would know :rolleyes:) and therefore if you've got a good un then the wok fumes shouldn't be an issue.

super_extract.gif

Discuss. :hmmm:

The Extract Hood you have shown Munchy, though of questionnable repute, is certainly advantageous in terms of its classic angular sides, as the more contemporary models have flat sides which are more condusive to retention of dirt and germs, and therefore require considerable more maintenance.

Munchie...

I'm getting worried about you guys.

Pots and pans, knife sets, apron fashion, extractor hoods...

What's next for discussion? Crochet techniques? Knitting needle sizes? TV Shopping's Best deals of the week?

If I walk past the gay soi in Patpong tonight on my way home and I see you guys, I won't be surprised at all!!! :)

Where do you place the hood? Thais cook on the floor, near the outside/balconey door, and rarely in the same place.

Usually above the cooker! Unfortunately you can't move extract hoods around coz they're connected to an extract duct, which is fixed. :sad:

In the case of Thais, moving around "near the outside/balcony door", I would recommend a portable fan positioned so that the cooking gases are blown outside. Something like this, although not sure if these things are available in Thailand? :dunno:

89463_FAN9-200x200.jpg

This is the Draper 89463 16" 230V remote controlled telescopic floor standing model which is ideal for use in the home, office or workshop. Telescopic stand with variable height adjustment from 1.1 to 1.3M (approx.). Three speed, with tilt and automatic oscillating feature. Supplied with remote control (uses 2 x AAA batteries - supplied separately). Fitted with BS approved 3 pin plug and cable.

.....What's next for discussion? Crochet techniques? Knitting needle sizes? TV Shopping's Best deals of the week?.....

I think knitting needle sizes would be a popular topic to chat about. :thumbup: But let's not hijack this particular thread. OK. :thumbdown:

I had a hood placed at my place, but they put it way too high, they made sure I would not bang my head against it and there is a holein the wall to evacuate the air. So I am not going to have it replaced lower, but happy we have the thing when she woks. Still we close the kitchen door towards the dining room and open the outside kitchen door to help evacuate the smells.

The remaining problem I need to fix are the splashes the wok makes on the wall above the cooker.

I think in Europe I can find colored plastified and gluable wall paper, not sure you find this around bangkok.

Archived