The Honesty Experiment

ChristianTroy

It is always a bit dangerous to talk about Buddhism on this board because people are in majority used to a different interpretation of Buddhism as practiced in Thailand. I read a million of times here that a Buddhist is not supposed to judge other people but the Theravada Buddhism suggest critical investigation instead of blind faith! I don't know too much about Theravada Buddhism as well so I don't know how much the deformation theory applies to Thais, the little bit I understand was explained to me by my mother who was born in Tibet and lived many years in India, she told me that Theravada Buddhism is a bit more practical school and is practiced by the more poorer countries such as Thailand, Cambodia, Laos etc... the main achievement is freedom and stop from suffering if I remember correctly!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiger Moth,

My experience of this - particularly Thai, IMHO, so I guess I'm agreeing with CT - approach to physical beauty (which in a Thai view results from good karma) and ugliness/deformity (from bad) is a bit different from that you describe. I've found that there can be a sense in Thailand that ugly or deformed people are that way because they deserve to be as a result of past actions, and that ugliness outside can be assumed to represent a kind of ugliness inside, something to despise, to avoid... And vice versa for beauty, so highly prized in LOS not only because it's an aesthetic pleasure, but because external beauty must be the result of good karma, internal goodness, etc.

Yes, in theory, someone on the path towards release from this world of suffering should associate with the hideous and the lame to earn merit and to overcome attachments to beauty, health, youth, life -- but most Thai Buddhists(and I generalise wildly, of course) are not really on a hardcore Theravada path towards ultimate realisation, just like Christians aren't exactly following in Jesus's footsteps (unless, of course, that's where Walking Street got its name?...where Jesus got off the first baht bus that ever was, and walked for 600 meters, turning water into Johnny Walker as he went, and anointing the feet of every Nut, Noi and Ning with scented oils... wearing sandals... and a Beer Chang singlet...).

But that's just my view of Thais and ugliness, and maybe it's just something I made up.

YimSiam

Just an old saying left over from my "childhood"...means that NOBODY else shares a thought, but maybe some inanimate object would (like a turd in your pocket). It's not really an offensive saying...though you probably wouldn't say it to your girlfriend's mother. :D

HH

Archived