Police find underage staff at South Pattaya bars

elef

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is way worse is that BKK Police invaded the city friday night and was trying to enforce the real laws and the funny thing about that is that all bars had THEIR policeman sitting outside who said "all fine" and nothing really happened except JP bar was turning of the music and Marine 2 was closed!

We think of Thailand as one place with a single set of rules, but the reality is that policy and rules established in Bangkok do not automatically become policy and rules in other parts of Thailand. They had to send police down from Bangkok to enforce these rules. How long is that going to last?

This is an old theme in Thailand. Bangkok's writ didn't extend far outside of Bangkok 100 years ago. Looking at more recent history, during the new social order days, we saw the same thing. A special contingent of Bangkok's finest would go down to Pattaya, shut a few bars and enforce early closings and no showing rules, and then, after they left, Pattaya returned to what passes for normal in Pattaya. I can't see it being very different this time.

What I am wondering is why are they doing this now? It is not as though everything else in Thailand is hunky dory and the powers that be have nothing else to worry about. We don't have a Khun Purachai in the Ministry of Interior. So who or what is driving this? And, with all the other problems here, why now?

They are coming twice a year to show some presence and that is it! As I said, the bars had THEIR policeman sitting in front who assured that all is fine! Life went on as usual except that the bars made sure that they close at 3am sharp. Pattaya is Pattaya and there are too many disobeyed laws that nobody knew where to start with. I am certain the Pattaya police is very happy with the opportunities here and they won't let the big guys mess with their business! This time it went pretty smooth and someone told me that they were checking for the CCTV cameras in the first place but I can't confirm it is true since the source is a bit unreliable!

I haven't studied the systems in the bars (and few beerbars have cameras yet - I have in fact never seen 1 single), but an older system in my normal hotel. It's less than 24/25 pics/min but faster than 1 as you can see a person moving, around 5-10 I guess. Hotel use 12 cameras and keep the material on the harddisk for 14 days after that the content is replaced with new films.

The frame rate is adjustable from what I know, I think at LD Showcase they run with 5 frames per second. It is black and white video, with only greyscales instead of colours you get quite some content on a hard drive and when it is full it starts over taping the old content!

However, I know now why the BKK police was there, lol, I don't dare to say it but they came with 8 or 10 cars to raid one bar for illegal substances, blood has been taken :) I won't say which bar!

Police checked the ID cards of more than 60 staff members and found that 19 of them were under the age of 20.

I know there is this rumor going on that 18yo and 19yo can't work in a bar which is according to the Police complete bollocks, they are just not allowed to drink alcohol. That is what police was telling us!

Torrenova has more experience he might set it straight what the OFFCIAL version is.

Archived