cd--->mp3?

FAT_AUSSIE

Thanks Rex,

I am quite sure the mp3s encoded via iTunes will play on every mp3-player.

what I don't know for lack of having a mp3-player: Is it possible to start the iTunes software, select songs (mp3-encoded) from the media library and let iTunes move them to any mp3-player (at least the ones that connect as a simple USB drive). This would be more comfortable than locating the files on the hard disk manually and copy them manually.

Does iTunes software act proprietary and only fills iPods from its library, or does it fill non-iPods? Would make a huge difference.

You happen to know that?

Thanks

carlton

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that it won't. But, I also think that if you buy a typical MP3 player, it'll come bundled with some other software, similar to I-Tunes. If you were to load that software onto your computer, it would probably recognize the MP3 files stored on your hard drive. I assume you could then upload from that program to the MP3 player. So it's not an either or thing. You can have both I-tunes and some other program on you computer, both working from the same library.

Rex

Rex,

yes, but that would just create the mess I want to avoid. Several programs that manage their own indexes over the same pile of songs. As I will not use the library program for ripping or encoding CDs I was considering WMP11 or Winamp. Which both should be able to work with 'standard' mp3-players. Would like to know if iTunes can do that, too. CT, are you still there? You're the expert on iTunes. Come forward.

mp3-players that require a proprietary program will not be considered by me. Same goes for programs that only work with one kind of players.

Because proprietary programs make digital life inconvenient.

Think a friend comes over, has a few songs on his mp3-player that I fancy. I have a few songs on the computer he likes. Now if the mp3-player can only be accessed through proprietary software I have to install one more program I don't really want or need. Same if I have a mp3-player with proprietary software and go to his place. Maybe not too far from now my daughter wants an mp3-player as well, with again proprietary software, that would make one more program.

Apart from having different programs I'd have to learn how to use them. Create and manage more than one index. A big NO.

Same goes for digital cameras. Many/most plug via USB and act just like an USB drive. Very convenient. But some require their wonderful and proprietary software. Same situation, you're at a friends place, did a few shots of the kids playing, and before you go you want to copy these pics to the friends computer. If your camera needs a proprietary program the trouble starts.

It's bad enough that I have to carry the USB cable with me because the camera makers are using different plugs and sockets.

My old digital camera died a month ago. I fancied one that had good tests, price was right and I could use the SD-card salvaged from the old camera. But I also found out that it only works with proprietary software, that I'd have to change the way I copy the pics to the computer and how I organize them.

I voted with my feet, this manufacturer lost a sale. Fortunately digital cameras is a buyers market.

Thanks for the link, I'll see if I can find the info I need. I hoped I could get an easy answer.

PS: found the answer. iTunes itself does not synchronize other mp3-players than iPods. However there's a bunch of tools that trick iTunes into doing it. Should work with most players.

Not what I was looking for.

Yes there are tools to make your MP3 player look like an iPod for iTunes and they will re-organize your file structure in a temporary process this doesn't cause any problems on your computer nor on your player.

I would still advice anyone to buy an iPod because all new reciever generations will have the iPod docking link and come with a free remote for the iPod. Why changing CDs if you could send the files DIGITALLY to your receiver which will decode and enhance the stream so that you can listen your mp3s in true cd sound!

Makes a lot of sense to me at least since I have 80 gigs worth of music!

Hi,

I have a little different approach.

Main player is my computer because it plays everything there is. Not yet HD-DVD or Blue -Ray, but about everything else. For sound I rigged up a surround receiver via Toslink. Works, no reason to buy a new overpriced model that connects to an iPod I don't have and most likely never will buy.

A mp3-player would only be a mobile extension for music. As of now I don't really need one.

When I start organizing the music on my computer (some 500 CDs to be ripped and lots of downloaded music) I don't want to re-organize it when I buy a mp3-player.

The more I look at iTunes store and iTunes software and iPod and iEverything, the more I get the feeling the 'i' stands for 'inCompatible with everything except i$hit'.

From what I learned until now I will most likely use Winamp as music library.

But thanks fo rthe info anyway.

the "i" stands for "incredible quality" in the first place! The iTunes auto sorting function is simply brilliant, no matter how you have ripped, named, downloaded your tracks it brings it in the most perfect sorting (Artist > Album > Track sorted by track number) Let's say you have 15 Albums of the rolling stones somewhere on your hard drive probably even poorly described you simply activate the organize function and all track will be dumped in 1 music folder sorted as described above! Has Win Amp started copying this function already?

Generating of playlists is genuine and brilliant!

The smart playlists can basically sort everything by your taste. Geeks like me who have covers and make rating for every track and also use the comment tags to separate the songs between "Ballad" "Up-Tempo" etc.. can generate a playlist with ballads within one click. 95% of my music is rock, hard rock, alternative or harder. I perfectly setup the style of music and whatever style I want to hear I have in an auto updated playlist which I can limit to only the top rated songs!

WinAmp is a bloody mess imo, I like it because you can change the look in no time but someone with a little sense of organization can't like it! I simply don't like my downloaded music to be named like this (bonjovi_newjers_layour.mp3) that is for teenagers, I want it sorted and iTunes will do that for me like that (Bon Jovi > New Jersey > 01 Lay Your Hands On Me.mp3)

Since you are not going to buy any device and run the music through your computer you might wanna have a 2nd look on the playlist features and try to play with them, because with iTunes you are not browsing sings based on your organization of files you browse them by whatever you want!

Archived