cd--->mp3?

FAT_AUSSIE

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://mp3.radified.com -- A guide to high quality, but more complex.

The easy way? Open Windows Media Player. Click on Tools>Options...>Rip Music and set it up how you want (I suggest MP3 format and 256kb bit rate). Click OK. Put a CD in your computer. Click the rip button. Wait five minutes. All done.

Cheers,

SD

FA,

as the others told before your software music player will most likely do. Specially the ones that get album info from the net (WMP and Winamp).

Btw, WMP9 doesn't do mp3, if I remember right. You need WMP10 or WMP11.

And Winamp reduces ripping speed in it's freeware versions.

If you want a CD-ripper/encoder with more options (regarding quality) you may look at CDex

Either 1.51 or 1.70 beta2 (which I use without problems so far). Gets album info from CDDB, allows to choose various encoders/formats (use Lame for mp3) and allows viariable bitrate VBR.

The bad news: more options equal a few more settings.

I set it up for a friend two weeks ago. five minutes for download, setup, settings and explanations. Since then he's ripping his CD collection to hard disk, never complained.

Guess we have to make the distinction between iTunes store and iTunes media manager software.

iTunes store uses proprietary formats (plus DRM). Because of the proprietary format you are kind of bound to buy an iPod if you want to listen the bought music on the road. This creates an urge in me. An urge to definitely NOT buy at the iTunes store and NOT buy an iPod.

now iTunes media manager. As a media manager it's not worse or better than WMP11 or Winamp. But it beats both when it comes to ripping CDs to Mp3. As a media manager with MP3-ripping I'd choose iTunes. Better/more settings than WMP11. And Winamp won't rip MP3s in the free version.

If it's only ripping MP3s then I'd rather choose CDex. Starts faster, doesn't fuck up autoplay settings and file-type assignments. And offers a lot more encoders and settings for ripping music than the media managers above.

One question. I don't own an MP3-player. So I don't know, can't try if it's possible to move MP3s and playlists to a standard MP3-player using iTunes media manager. That's possible?

I'm not the expert, but I think so. I-Tunes gives you a choice of formats when you copy a CD toyour hard drive. If you chose MP3, then other programs besides I-Tunes will recognize those tracks. For example, I can open Windows Media Player and it will recognize and play any of my I-Tunes MP3 tracks. So, I suppose that whatever software comes with your normal MP3 player will also recognize them.

Rex

Archived