Chiang Mai - Are These Rates for Real?

Flutterby

I want to spend a few days in Chiang Mai in June and was looking at three carriers: Nok Air, Air Asia, and One-Two-Go. Rates on Air Asia are as low as 299 THB each way. This seems awfully inexpensive. Are these rates for real? It's only a 1 hour flight so I can put up with a cramped seat; am I missing something?

On a related matter, does anyone have hotel recommendations in Chiang Mai. I am looking for something that is guest-friendly. Any advice on the nightlife up there?

In February I flew between Bangkok and Chiang Mai on One-Two-Go Airlines for 1800 or 1900 Baht. Perhaps they are offering a special deal for the off season. They might be trying to fill seats that are otherwise empty. I think the train to C.M. is at least 500 baht, so that is a good deal.

Flutterby,

what they don't tell you when they list the tix price, is that when you proceed through the booking process the final step is the TAXES & CHARGES.....which in almost ALL of these type of flights...are MORE than the tix price....

EG....from memory.

Used Air Asia to fly Bkk Krabi return earlier this year.

List price tix....499 (or599)Bt each way, can't remember exactly...

WITH tax and charges 2 tix cost approx. 4700 Bt

Bottom line ..price per tix was like 1000 or 1100 bt return PLUS 1200 or 1300 Bt taxes and charges

Even so, if you can get Bkk / Chaingmai for under 2k return, it's good value and well worth it.

Cheers DS

You can sometimes get tickets for near zero but you have to pay the taxes and fees.

For example I selected the following:

DEPART

Bangkok (Donmueang) To Chiang mai Friday September 21 , 2007

06:15 am DD8300

THB 808.41

(Per Passenger)

RETURN

Chiang mai To Bangkok (Donmueang) Monday September 24 , 2007

07:45 am DD8301

THB 808.41

(Per Passenger)

DEPARTURE

1 Fare (ADULT) THB 808.41

1 Tax, Fee and Surcharge (ADULT) THB 691.59

Airport Tax THB 100.00

Insurance THB 50.00

Administration Fee THB 50.00

Fuel Surcharge THB 400.00

VAT THB 91.59

Total (ADULT) THB 1,500.00

DEPARTURE TOTAL THB 1,500.00

RETURN

1 Fare (ADULT) THB 808.41

1 Tax, Fee and Surcharge (ADULT) THB 691.59

Airport Tax THB 100.00

Insurance THB 50.00

Administration Fee THB 50.00

Fuel Surcharge THB 400.00

VAT THB 91.59

Total (ADULT) THB 1,500.00

RETURN TOTAL THB 1,500.00

ATM1.4 THB 20.00

Counter Service Plus2.1 THB 30.00

TRIP TOTAL THB 3,000.00

It's low season for sure. Only 36 people on my Air Asia flight from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok today. On their website and in the BKK Post they're offering some very cheap seats.

Even with taxes added, it's still pretty cheap to fly around the region.

This was a genuine question not an ad. I am sitting in my office in Oregon planning my upcoming trip to Thailand and was puzzled by the discrepancy in airfares as they are reported on the different airlines web sites. This will be the first time I've flown within Thailand and was simply looking for some assistance.

I would agree with you that ads should be filtered or at least moved to their own forum but this isn't one of them.

Archived