Thai children's IQ average low

Chlp

Is reading encouraged in Thai schools here? (Primary and high school?)

Not being a parent I really don't know much about the school system.

Surely it starts first with the parents at home (who probably don't read much themselves at all), and then the responsibility surely must fall on to the schools to encourage kids to read.

I remember at primary school we used to have to have a book in our desk all the time, and the teacher used to give us 20 minutes reading time during the day simply to read our books.

Part of English classes was studying literature and novels etc. Don't they have to study Thai literature at school here?

There are some great books written by Thai writers out there (that I have read English translations of). Surely they must have to study this in school... don't they???

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

"Which means no books, no one interested in anything except the TV soaps etc. "

I know :(

It's really infuriating.

I've tried taking my wife's kids to bookstores telling them they can pick any book they want. Neither chose one; not interested at all.

Sanuk!

Mr Sanuk tell them no bookreading no food. Or tell them a farang "uncle" living nearby is coming by to sit on them untill they start reading ;)

Waerth

Is reading encouraged in Thai schools here? (Primary and high school?)

Not being a parent I really don't know much about the school system.

Surely it starts first with the parents at home (who probably don't read much themselves at all), and then the responsibility surely must fall on to the schools to encourage kids to read.

I remember at primary school we used to have to have a book in our desk all the time, and the teacher used to give us 20 minutes reading time during the day simply to read our books.

Part of English classes was studying literature and novels etc. Don't they have to study Thai literature at school here?

There are some great books written by Thai writers out there (that I have read English translations of). Surely they must have to study this in school... don't they???

I have been talking with several Thais about this, but no bookreading is not on the menu in schools. Only in international schools. They are not encouraged to read. I had to read 25 books in the Netherlands just for Dutch classes in the last years of highschool. And 10 or so for my english classes. When I told that to the Thais I was speaking to they looked horrified!

I actually got my former girlfriend reading. This was after the first lord of the rings movie. She loved the movie and wanted to know how it ended. I said well we will buy the book. She started reading it and came till halfway in the second book. And then all of a sudden she stopped reading it. She did buy some other Thai books though, simpler with poems and short stories. But still I got at least one Thai to pick up reading!

Waerth

Hi,

"Mr Sanuk tell them no bookreading no food."

We tried that with the eldest (in a way), but you cannot force people to read. He would 'read' for about 20-30 minutes - in which he finished maybe 5 pages - and then fall asleep.

I have had some success with my wife though. In the last couple of years she has increased her reading quite a bit. It's mostly magazines and newspapers, but that already is a lot better than most.

Sanuk!

Mayby a result of the all too common thai parenting which often involves the parents to have their offspring living with whoever will look after them while the fathers work as construction workers/cab drivers in bkk and the mothers work as dancing queens in PTY/BKK or abroad.

With all due respect' date=' HN, when looking at the Thai population who are parents as a whole, the percentage of mothers who work in the BKK/PTY dancing queen industry would be quite low.

I don't know how you can use this relatively small socio-economic group as a basis for comment on this.

[/quote']

Point taken MN, I just feel very strongly about this and this occasionally cloud my judgement.

I didn`t specifically mean to target women working in the entertainment industry although it certainly seemed that way, I was just too lazy to mention other situations: women leaving home and kids to work in construction, factories etc. or leaving the country alltogether to work abroad or getting married.

This is all too common in "our Isan village" and in my neck of the woods generally.

But this is straying from the subject, for which I apologize.

cheers

hn

Almost all health education and health promotion brochures uses cartoon characters and layouts to get their message across...

No problem with that if it works; but don't like the mentality that it develops meaning Thais never leave pre-school...

Everything has to be in "baby" language and presentation for Thais. Remember how the royal flora festival was marketing?

It sure answers the question of not being a progressive, thinking asking seroius qurestions and thought about tough and difficult subjects...

CB

One major change since I have been in Thailand is a negative one, as far as I am concerned. Under the old system, students had to pass tests to advance in school. The first one came after the 4th grade. Fail it and you'd be held back until you did. The next test was after the 6th grade. Pass it or stay put. (Since 6th grade was all that was compulary, most didn't go beyond that.)

In secondary school, the first test was in the 8th grade, with I think another in the 10th. The final test came at the end of the 12 grade and was required to sit the university entrance exam.

Nowadays, students are passed along, whether they can do the work or not. Many teachers have complained to me that students can finish the compulsary 9 years and still not be able to read and write properly. They are no longer allowed to keep them back.

Thus while it looks like Thais are getting a few more years of education than in the past, in fact they are just being moved along until they are dumped out.

"This has to have a severe impact on the baby, who is effectively being malnutritioned for the first several months of its life. Is it any wonder they are mentally retarded?"

interesting post. i'm not sure about the cause but the effect is sure striking :(

Archived