Working in the USA for your Foreign Significant Other

Weird

Tried reading stuff to see the requirements for having a significant other work in the USA, but it's all greek to me.

I was wondering what is the earliest/fastest way to let your Significant Other work as early as possible in the US legally.

Assume you just got a married and obtained a marriage visa.

Apply for work permit?

Have to wait for citizenship?

???

As soon as she arrives in the US on an immigrant visa (what you get when you get married), she is legally allowed to work. Just apply for a Social Security card. No real drama there.

Now getting the immigrant visa may be filled with dramas...

Cheers,

SD

If she enters the USA on a K-1 visa, then she can apply for a Social Security card and is allowed to work. Or, at least that was the case a few years back when a friend of mine brought in a girl from the Ukraine. She couldn't speak much English at the time, but she finally got a job as a real estate agent.

Rex

Isn't a K-1 the fiance (sp?) visa? I do not believe that she can work on that UNTIL they get married and it is converted over to a (K-3?) immigrant visa.

They'll issue Social Security cards to anyone tho'. My wife had a SS card long before we ever even visited the States (cuz we paid US taxes while living abroad). But it was marked "not valid for employment".

Cheers,

SD

I have a friend who used K1 visa and she was allowed to work immediately. However, there is a 3 or 4 month grace period to get married. After the marriage, they immediately had to file for green card. The green card process was easy because they went through the entire financial support proof during the k1 process.

My wife came to the US on a K-3 visa (married in Thailand) and had to apply for a EAD (employment authorization document) before she could work. Took about 2-3 months if I remember right. Years ago, a K-1 could work upon entry, but I believe that has changed and they have to go the EAD route now. The EAD has to be maintained until the Adjustment of Status is adjudicated and she receives her green card, which can take anywhere from six months to two years.

Archived