$516,348 debt for every U.S. household

foreigner

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They made a bad situation worse. What really worries me are the bad precedents this white house has set so that future bad precedents can use them. Presidents will cite precedent when they want to do bad things. Suspending habeus corpus, etc.

They cited some precedent for the non combatant issue.

Well, personally, I can't wait for the '08 election, things can only get better...or can it? :(

Maybe they need a period of pre-war German style hyperinflation (people pushing billions of marks in wheelbarrows etc). They could pay the debt off in no time..

Bush needs to take lessons in economic management from Mugabe.

As in all elections BK, the best candidate(s) probably won't get elected. However, the good thing is among the Republicans I don't see a 'Bush clone'. McCain is talking like it but his past suggests he is far more coherent on global issues. Guiliani is the more practical candidate. On the Dems side, Obama won't get the nomination and if he does, I would be surprised if he got the vote. He's the most independent of of the 3 main challengers which is the reason why the 'machine' won't trust him. Right now it seems the 'best' candidate for most is the one that will lead us out of Iraq the quickest..lol. All other issues (economy, health care, education, crime, etc.) are secondary to that primary issue. I think as we get farther into the election it will be about other things.

As for the economy, I hate to sound like a pessimist but it will continue to have problems because too many politicians are beholden to too many industries and are more concerned with holding on to power than telling the hard truth and making the tough decisions no matter if it isn't popular. Any solution is so watered down with loopholes for the powers that be, it ends up doing more harm than good. I'm a fun guy to be around, ain't I? hehehe

The national debt is $9 trillion. The medicare and social security liabilities aren't counted in that national debt, it is true. If you want to include the present value of those liabilities, you should also include the present value of the future SS/Medicare taxes because those aren't included in the national debt figure either. SS/Medicare are in trouble but they aren't in as much trouble as that crappy USA Today newspaper is trying to imply. Who the hell reads USA Today for news? I read it for the color pictures.

That said, the strength of the US economy is a mystery. I have a chunk of money that I've kept in liquid cash-equivalents because I keep expecting a major market correction. Housing is slow, productivity is down, oil is up... But the stock market is going up because they assume all this bad info means the fed will cut interest rates. Does anyone still harbor the illusion that the stock market reflects any sort of economic reality? You would think you can only play interest rate games for so long before you eventually have to pay up... or rather our children pay up!

[color:red]the different views / opinions of citizens is quite amazing / amusing.[/color]

McCain is talking like it but his past suggests he is far more coherent on global issues.

[color:red]McCain is out of his mind .. perhaps coherent on global issues means hawk .[/color].

[color:red]his jaunt through the bagdad market & his statements after that demonstrate his honesty[/color]

Guiliani is the more practical candidate.

[color:red]3 wives & pro choice makes him the perfect republican.[/color]

[color:red]Rudy is best for the dims .. evangelicals will stay home![/color]

Obama won't get the nomination He's the most independent .. the 'machine' won't trust him.

[color:red]we agree[/color]

[color:red]

billery has tu mutt baggage[/color]

[color:red]that leaves Gore vs Thompson ????[/color]

All other issues (economy, health care, education, crime, etc.) are secondary to that primary issue.

[color:red]abortion is the ONLY issue for 25% - 35% OF Americasns .. a pro-life hawk / bush clone could win .. it would take a bush clone w / some financial conservative principals ..that would get the republican base out

the republican primaries are much more conservative than the general[/color]

All you've noted is why I think if we ever get a national health program it may be the straw that eventually breaks the american financial back. Not that a national health program isn't a good thing, its just that it has to be set up and run by a responsible government and this one isn't. No one can still name any national program of note that isn't criminally over budget and out of control.

And why can't each state have its own statewide program? Because they'd f**k it up royally. The states can't manage their own affairs anymore. Tennessee tried a state version of national health care and its already a shambles, imagine it on a national scale?

As for the election, right now its Iraq. All anyone seems to care about at this point in time its what they will do about Iraq. Things will change to other issues later on, but its all about Iraq for the most part.

foreigner if the evangelicals were that powerful then what happened to the last congressional elections? Dems swept through both houses of congress. Yes, its possible for the right to win the presidential election but I wouldn't be placing bets in vegas about it. The country is tired. They want a change. It happens. The country got tired of Democrats throughout the 60s and elected Nixon. The country got tired of Republicans in the '80s and early '90s and elected Clinton. Its always been that way, with the exception being the congress which was democrat for years till the '90s. My guess is McCain is playing to the base of the party for the nomination. Arizona his state is still made up of Goldwater republicans to a certain extent or that mindset, which is more of a libertarian streak. I think McCain will use the Nixon model and appeal to the base to get the party nomination, appeal to the center in the national electioin and if he wins, govern slightly to the left. Just my guess. Nixon did that: recognizing china, numerous acts considered left of center at the time (and needed) like endangered animals act, recognizing the handicap, OSHA, etc.

Guiliani is a Rockerfeller republican. A 'RINO' (Republican In Name Only), all his beliefs are basically democrat. he's pro abortion, pro immigration, not sure but I'd guess pro gay marriage or at best neutral on it would be my guess but could be wrong. Rudy has to go a little right to have any hope of getting the party nomination.

Hillary is so much of a polorizing figure. There are even a lot of women who don't like her. Urban women will but my guess is southern women won't vote her despite her being a former first lady of a southern state (Arkansas).

Obama...you never know. I still think when a lot of people go into that voting booth, what they said in a poll about liking him will vanish when its time to put up or shut up. I could be wrong but its my gut.

If I had to guess, I'll say Edwards wins the election against McCain. The first ambulance chaser in the white house. Not that he's my guy but who I think will end up with it after the dust settles. That also includes who he picks as a running mate. I don't think Rudy will get enough support from the far right, hard core Republicans. Obama and Hillary will split their support and there isn't much either can take away from Edwards.

I could have it totally wrong (and usually do..lol) but just how I see it right now.

Archived