Photography store

buddha

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd been wondering if ND confused Thanyia with fortune, which has a hotel and a Tesco Lotus and a few camera shops?

If anyone finds out, I'd love to know, always on the lookout for a good camerashop.

Mind you, I sold my last 'blad four years ago, heavy doorstop, all digital now. Was tempted by the new 'blad, but 25K $ is a bit steep, and besides, it weighs a ton. someone else can get their shoulders tortured, I'm done with self torture.

I did a quick Google search on 'Camera stores Bangkok' and there seemed to be a lot of good hits. About 25 years ago I used to import all my camera equipment out of Hong Kong at great savings. Have no idea what the situation is now for prices, but if you know anyone in H.K. it might be worth a check before spending too much dough in BKK. Here is a tip. If you are using/storing camera equipment in tropical countries during the wet/humid season, be careful about moisture. Whenever I travel I bring along a handful of those little moisture sucking packets, I think they are called desiccants. I store camera gear in a sturdy plastic bag with several of these packets inside to help control humidity when equipment is not being used.

Dessicants lose their effectiveness after a while, then you have to heat them up in an oven to get the water out again.

Residents in LOS would be best off if they have a lot of expensive camera gear to buy a climate control box, as are sold in some pro shops. That is basically a box which holds humidity stable at level you set. Works fine for me, costs to buy, but saves a fortune in ruined lenses.

How pro do you want to go? I'm a wedding/model photographer and I've spend several thousands on cameras/gear/lenses (Canon baby!)

What type of photography are you looking into? Landscape, portraits, action, model, etc

I've seen the photography store at MBK and the prices do look high when compared to the USA. I've purchased nearly all my gear through B & H Photo in New York, which is probably the biggest seller of camera/video gear in the world.

The True store/cafe in Paragon Mall has a fair amount of pro camera stuff, but those prices are also kinda high.

I'm in Pattaya now, but will return to BKK in a few weeks. I'd be happy to give you some pointers.

There is the Commart computer show going on right now at the Queen Sikrit Convention Center in Bangkok. This would be an excellent place to take hundreds of photos of boothbabe models (if you are into that sort of thing). It's great practice getting them to pose and metering the exposures correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're looking for Nikon stuff, the store down on Silom is much better than the MBK store.

Not5150 is absolutely on the mark when he mentions B&H (bhphotovideo.com). Excellent service, good prices, reliable shipping. They would be my first choice for any purchases.

Archived