Photography store

buddha

Although this thread is a bit long in the tooth, It's a good place to add the following.

CANON Service Center in Choen Nonsi can get a little careless: they switched the three year old Canon A75 camera I had left for repair with an identical model belonging to another customer which was in much poorer condition. I didn't discover the switch untill I was examining the camera back home; the serial numbers not matching my warranty card and the drop off receipt confirmed the problem.

I called CANON and they told me to bring the camera back and they would contact the other customer. I complied and waited for them to contact me. After three weeks elapsed with no return calls, I called them and got vague responses: "He no call back", ect.

I let it go for another week then went back to the office. I demanded to see the supervisor of Customer Service who finally appeared when it became clear that I wasn't going to go away.

He tried to put me off further but I insisted that now was the time to resolve the issue. He offered a credit towards the purchase of a new camera but I hung tough and they finally replaced it with as equivalent a new model as they had on hand, an A520: better in some respects, not better in others.

Make sure to physically check serial numbers when you pick-up valuable items left for any reason; not just at CANON.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The shop on the 3rd floor of Rama 3 Shopping Centre is where I go. As far as Canon gear goes, they always have a good range of lenses in stock including most of the most popular in the "L" range. Their prices are negotiable, although they tend not to move much.

If you're getting keen on photography, remember that the lens is often more important than the camera, so don't be shy to drop some dish on really good glass. You DO notice the difference.

And if you start buying some of the really expensive glass, consider a trip to Hong Kong. This link gives prices for gear over there.

http://www.ygdragon.net/

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me where I can get a negative scanner to scan the thousands of old photo negatives I have into digital format?

I remember a few years ago (5+) Stickman posting a recommendation but I never got round to following it up (left the country) and now it's on my mind again. Does such a thing even still exist these days?

Or maybe a service that will scan them for me? But I'm thinking that the number I've got it'll be cheaper to buy a machine and do it myself, although the trade off could be the time it'll take!

Thanks

N_D I've been looking on the Web for the different types of scanners and it seems the good ones run from around $500 through to $2,000!!

I've also come across this website http://www.plastictreesstudio.com/ptfilmscanning.html?gclid=COO06Nzdl44CFRFBhgodk0NcRA where the cheapest deal on scanning services is $0.80 per scan (plus DVD costs depending on size of image).

My guess is that I have over 2,000 negatives to scan (@36 per roll that's only about 55 packs of photos? Sh*t, better make that around 5,000 negs then!)

So a service is a lot more expensive than buying the scanner and doing it yourself except for your own time in doing all the scanning, plus any 'corrections' to the scanned image to enhance it.

Maybe labour for a service in LOS would make that a bit cheaper but I wouldn't think by much.

I haven't had any luck finding a service in LOS, any luck your end? Maybe we could buy a decent machine between us and hire someone to make the scans if you also have a lot of negs to scan?

I'm in no hurry at the moment though as all my negs are back in UK and I'd have to arrange for them to be DHLed here.

There is one particular camera retailer at Fortune that has two shops there; one on level 3, the other on two. You can tell by the identical price signage, I forget the name. They have very low prices on Canon and Nikon equipment BUT they are gray market with no manufactures warranty, not even a Thailand one. If anything goes wrong, the store claims they will take care of repairs in house: not a whole lot of use if you are anywhere besides Bangkok.

Archived