Thailand to seize $1.5 billion of Thaksin assets

Fidel

...and angry as hell (even if he as US$1.5 billion left) and in a position to create a lot of grief here.

I am not and have never been a fan of Mr. T, but none of this going to make Thailand look good. They seize his assets immediately after a major demonstration. It's going to be hard now to even pretend that this has anything other than strictly political. With all of the other stuff going on here now, it's going to be even harder to claim that "laws" really mean anything here.

One of the ironies to this is that the people in my office who are the most anti-Thaksin now were the biggest gung-ho pro-Thaksin nationalists when he was first elected. Memories are short here, and neither intellectual consistency nor honesty appear to be virtues.

I think its smart for him to fight in court,

There will be an election some day , the new guys may be Thaskin supporters , this way he has already made his claim and can call the seizure "illegal" because it was done by a non-elected government,

And whats a few lawyer fees when you are chasing 1.5 Billion ?

Now the question is where is the rest of the money ?

Did the freeze his kids accounts ?

Will the daughter need to get her job back at McDonalds ?

Just another Thai soap opera.....

OC

<< One of the ironies to this is that the people in my office who are the most anti-Thaksin now were the biggest gung-ho pro-Thaksin nationalists when he was first elected. Memories are short here, and neither intellectual consistency nor honesty appear to be virtues. >>

No, it's because Thaksin didn't want to share the loot. He hogged it all to himself. Thais have no problem with corruption, as long as they get their piece of the pie.

p.s. The government hasn't actually taken his money. I wonder if it is actually something of a message. "Stay away and leave us alone, and you can eventually have your money back. Play politics and we will keep it."

:dunno:

Hmmm ... from today's Post:

Security tightened for members of ASC

Steps are being taken to ensure the safety of members of the Assets Scrutiny Committee (ASC) following their decision on Monday to freeze the assets of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his family. Security has been tightened amid fears that the 11 members could be in danger of assault by furious supporters of Mr Thaksin.

Pol Lt Wutthikrai Jaturongseri of the Metropolitan Police Bureau was ordered by city police chief Adisorn Nonsi to ask for the home addresses of the ASC members, so that guards could be assigned to them. The security shield will comprise police provided by acting national police chief Seripisuth Temiyavej, the Metropolitan Police Bureau and Bang Sue police station. The ASC office is within the jurisdiction of Bang Sue police.

ASC member Kaewsan Atipho remained steadfast yesterday in the face of the perceived threat to his safety. He said he had done his duty properly and nothing would ever make him cringe in fear.

Interesting, also in the Post:

ASC was split on Thaksin vote

Members of the Assets Scrutiny Committee were split 7 to 4 when they voted on Monday to freeze the local assets of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his family on Monday.

Of 11 members, Sak Korsaengrueng, Jiraniti Hawanon, Wiroj Laohapan and Amnuay Thantara voted against the assets freeze. They have not given the reason for their votes against the majority.

The ASC order freezing Thaksin's assets was reached yesterday, but it was not made public whom the majority/minority voters were.

Archived