What just happened to my laptop?

teddy

A few moments ago my laptop made a little popping noise and then hey presto there is a one inch strip running down the middle of the screen on which the display is much feinter than the rest of the screen, ie the deep blue on this website is actually pale blue in the area of this strip.

Does this sound fixable? the damn thing is out of warranty by a few weeks also :mad:

Thanks for that :thumbup:

I will print that out and take it to the shop in case they try and argue their way out of it.

Other than this problem and the problem with the exploding batteries the Dell Inspiron seems to be a good laptop. Just in case I have to buy another one, what would you peeps recommend as being reliable and well built?

I had a Sony Vaio from work but the thing literally fell apart it was built so bad.

Dell has always been about building functional machines as cheaply as possible. They seem ok if not sexy. A lot of my professional colleagues are now switching to powerbooks running dual O/S as it is becoming less and less common to have a computer for work different from the one at home. I think the powerbooks are pretty awesome for the non-hardcore PC lovers. You get extremely great interface between your multi-media stuff and your PC. Keep your music, pictures, calendar, and address book on your iPod seemlessly synched to your PC.

My next laptop will be the Lenovo thinkpad tablet PC. It's got some really cool features and comes with a pen that actually feels like a pen as you write on your screen and an "eraser" that feels like an eraser. Allows you to take notes in your handwriting directly on top of presentations and such. I'm hoping that 3rd party developers will code some cool software to link my notebook to the iPhone.

Archived