Baffled by "The Korean Wave"

gawguy

What's baffling? : Koreans, Japanese and Chinese viewers - are they this sentimental?? Is there really a sweetness about these people?? So much of our real world contact absolutely contradicts that idea, but...

I have been watching KBS World and before that Ariang TV for a couple of years now. I have my sentimental side, and I love a lot of the programming on KBS World. The dramas and stories are usually gentle, and programs like "Love in Asia" and "Screening Humanity" are touching. This kind of programming is so much better than the sledgehammer of farang media - boink, shoot, humiliate.

The "Korean Wave" is an entertainment engine with the purpose of penetrating all the Asian markets, especially Japan and China. Unbelieveably, during one of the early dramas, 10% of all the TV's in Japan were tuned in every night. Amazing. And it has just grown and grown from there with increased revenue and experience leading to better and better production.

Do you know how many people in Asia are all crying at the same time when HE breaks through oh so many obstacles and FINALLY, after 30 episodes, hits of his love for HER - shyly and indirectly of course.

It's just that the audience for this stuff doesn't seem to be like the mean, self-obsessed, real Asians we meet on the street?? I must be lacking in my understanding, huh?

I've never been to Korea or Japan, and really, from what I've really seen, I hardly want to go.

I've never been to Korea or Japan, and really, from what I've really seen, I hardly want to go.

Japan is a wonderful place to be. I worked there back in the late eighties and when I came back I had to rest my old man in an ice bucket for a week. A night out in Rappongi is something to behold :D

I guess if you live in an ultra-conservative super controlled society where directly expressing anything is frowned upon, a safe outpouring of pent up emotions via a fictional characters exploits makes some sense. We are all people underneath, not so different, but the cultural 'norms' vary...conditioning is all around us, all the time, but some humanity remains and it finds safe avenues to emerge, such as soap operas.

Asians may be self-obsessed, materialistic or whatever other pejorative traits you want to associate with them. They aren't cynical in the way that westerners are. That's why they can enjoy cheesy movies and even cheesier pop songs without feeling uncool or guilty.

What's the thai word for cheesy or corny? I bet there isn't one...

Agree with HeartThais. I saw Joy Luck Club in Singapore and from half way though the movie the cinema was awash with crying. After it finished I was waiting outside expecting to see all the "aunties" coming out sniffling away. To my utter astonishment there was neary one in sight as all these "uncles" poured out blubbing away. That was a sight to behold!

As to the "Korean Wave", down here in SE Asia a whole tourist industry to S.Korea was built on the soap "Winter Sonata".

For the OP, you should visit Korea, there are few finer things than crossing the Han river as the sun rises after a serious night of partying....

I appreciate the responses and learned from them.

Yes I probably should go to Japan and Korea and if I win the Lotto, baby, I'm off!

I do believe it was "Winter Sonata" that had 10% of Japanese TV's tuned in every night. My God that's amazing, isn't it!?

I saw "Joy Luck Club" in the USA. Same response as described above - crying and crying and loud crying.

But with Korean Wave dramas, we are talking about reaching out to Korea, Japan, and China all at once. Can you imagine how many people would sometimes be in tears all at the same time?? And what that means!! Well, KBS World TV does. I was surprised to learn that they have been broadcasting for 50 years. Man, they have got it down! What an awesome machine with the depth of writers and actors.

Does anyone watch this stuff besides me? Come on you big, macho men. I know you're out there reaching for the kleenex too.

Gaw Guy

• 2 months later...

Archived