Classic Travel Literature

FreeTime

Anytime I feel the need to distance myself from current political and environmental realities, I often do so through historical travel literature. Here are a few titles to transport all but the most jaded to a time and place far removed from the present:

The Voyage of the Beagle

Charles Darwin

First Published 1839

Subsequent editions

Italian Journey (1786-1788)

Johann Wolfgang Goethe

(Translated by W.H. Auden & Elizebeth Mayer)

Penguin Books

'The Voyage of the Beagle' is still considered one of the finest travel books ever written. Anyone who is interested in historical travel accounts, translated into English if necessary, should take a look at publications on offer by the Hakluyt Society. Founded in London, England in 1846, their mandate is to issue books on world history, particularly as they relate to voyages and travels. I believe they have issued over 350 volumes since 1846. They have a web site easily found through a Google search. If you have a favourite historical travel book, add to the above.

Some of the best travel literature I ve found to be "Lonely Planet" guide books. :D:rotfl:

I love the style of writing in these books and the way they use the English language. I ve also found them to be very concise, with tight narrative. Maybe the language is a little formal, but overall a good read :)

Only messing. Hate those fecking books. But will keep those suggestions in mind FT.

A travel book I enjoyed which is modern day lit, is called The Sorcerers Apprentice. Set in India, looks at the bizzare things that happen in India, the black magic, but in a very funny way.

I have a book here called "The Teak Wallah" about a English bloke, self story, written in the 20 about his time after WW1 working in the teak forests that once streched from Issaan to Kanchanaburi.

Facinateing read, especially to see cities that where hamlets in his book

For classic travel writing, Bruce Chatwin books usually take me away a bit, also Paul Theroux. Could recommend the Glass Palace, by Amitav Ghosh, if you're interested in Burma and Southeast Asia(the Piano Tuner, to a far lesser degree, not the same league at all).

Most Joseph Conrad novels are brilliant storytelling and often take place in the places that I enjoy - same-same Somerset Maugham, George Orwell (Burmese Days is perfect for anyone dipping into the Bangkok expat life - it's a great cautionary tale for expats that stands the test of time).

YimSiam

Archived