childs bank acc

Hi,

I have had my eye on a little bit of land up country here for a while and am now starting to think that I might grab it, for my daughter. Its only 120,000 Baht and located well outside the Muang district. I made contact with the ti din (land titles office) and they told me that to purchase land on behalf of a juvenile she must be able to make evident where the funds originated from.

So i'm thinking open a bank account for her and wire the funds directly from my account in Australia.

Anyone here ever done shit like this?? either bought land for thier Thai daughter, and or opened a bank account for a juvenile?

What makes me think is I am aware that if a Thai woman owns a property and marries a foriegner, then has some sort of obligation to obtain in writing from her spouse disclosure that he has no interest in the propperty.

This is where I am thrown. This was never mentioned at the *land titles office* and would fly directly in the face of the above mentioned requirement of Thai women who marry foriegners.

FA...

Hi - I've opened accounts for both my kids when they was days old. However in each case I knew the Bank Manager AND more importantly, I've never tried to take the money out!

HOWEVER as a separate issue the land "I" own is in the name of my wife AND daughter! (Son born after we bought land) for about the same amount as what your talking about.

That seemed perfectly legal and acceptable, but at the end of the day, my only thoughts are, it's less than 200K, and if I gets robbed of it, it ain't that much

DOG

FA, another thing to consider. Property may not be held in the name of a child until the child has reached a certain age, eighteen if I'm not mistaken. (They get their ID cards when they're fifteen.)

I say this because I have a Thai lady friend who wanted to transfer a piece of land upcountry to her son, but was told to wait until he was of age.

You may also want to find out what kind of title deeds/ land classification is issued for the property before considering any purchase...

ND, the property is now in the name of my wife, was in the sister's name before (see FA's comment about obtaining a written statement about non-interest in the property) - I don't worry about it as she has agreed to give it to the kids. Can't take it with me, either... :rolleyes::grinyes:

Archived