Jeff Lawson to Coach Pakistan

Torneyboy

I didn't know there were two mediocre fast bowlers called Lawson who used to play for Australia.

46 Tests, 79 ODI's.

180 Test wickets, 88 ODI wickets.

Test Average: 30.56 ODI Average: 29.45

Best Test Figures: 8/112 Best ODI Figures: 4/26

5 Wickets in a test innings (which equates to centuries for batsmen): 11

Not bad... slightly above mediocre. Not one of the greats, but very handy.

(Figures above for GEOFF Lawson... not JEFF!)

Profile: Geoff Lawson, an optometrist by training, suffered from tunnel vision, red mist and blind spots as much as any good fast bowler. But in the latter part of his career he showed much insight and perspective too, and so had a big impact on Australian cricket. A tall, lively-paced outswing bowler from Wagga Wagga, he came to attention in 1978-79 in the then-approved way, by hitting Geoff Boycott, and went on to take 180 Test wickets and one blow to the jaw for Australia. As captain of New South Wales, he insisted on a "get on or get out" philosophy that not only won the state titles, but also strongly influenced the methods of Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh as Test captains. Known to all as "Henry" after the Australian bush poet, he is still near to the game as an analyst and spectator. Also played county cricket for Lancashire.

Seems as if the Pakis aren't tooo happy with his appointment. :mad:

Legends attack Lawson appointment

Former Pakistan captain Javed Miandad slammed the appointment of Australian Geoff Lawson as the team's new coach.

Miandad, who played 124 Tests and had three spells as coach up to 2004, said: "How can you expect a foreigner to have the patriotism a Pakistani does?

"Instead of bringing in foreigners the Pakistan board should first try to improve the grass-root cricket level.

"If foreign coaches can guarantee a certain level of performance, fine. Otherwise it is a waste of money."

Another former Pakistan captain Intikhab Alam, who held a managerial role when Pakistan won the World Cup in 1992, also questioned the appointment of another foreign coach to succeed the late Bob Woolmer.

"I have nothing against Lawson but he should be prepared for a lot of criticism and a hard time," he said.

"The board should first try to find out if we really need a foreign coach and then take a decision. I believe some of our players are equally good and capable of delivering results.

Legendary batsman Zaheer Abbas, who scored over 5,000 Test runs and who worked with the team in an administrative role during Woolmer's reign, was angered when news of the new appointment was made by Lawson himself in the Australian media before the result of a Pakistan board meeting to discuss the issue was announced.

"What was the purpose of having the meeting if the board had already taken a decision?" he said

Zaheer also suggested a member of the Pakistan squad, either recent or current, should have been chosen as the new man at the helm.

"I worked as manager with Woolmer and I can say our own players are equally good," he insisted.

Archived