Urgent question regarding flights to bangkok

bjon045

One of my friends bought a ticket to australia from bangkok. However they bought a one-way ticket assuming they could buy a return ticket when they got to australia.

However I told them they need a return ticket for boarding the plane (since they are not a resident of australia) and also for australian immigration.

They have run into a few problems with getting a refund (they would have to wait 2 months to get it and would lose 2000 baht) so I have a question. Is it possible to purchase another single journey ticket from Australia to bangkok IN thailand?

The ticket is with Amadeus if that makes any difference.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? i.e. buying a ticket from their home country TO bangkok while in bangkok?

I am going to look around at the various travel agents tomorrow but it is really getting down to the wire so I am asking here as well.

Bjon,

You can do it, but it works out to be very expensive.

If you go to a travel agent in BKK, then you will have to buy what's called a full-published fare, which is basically the maximum the airlines can charge you. It's going to be *WAY* more than a return ticket unfortunately.

The best bet is for him to buy on-line.

You can try the following airlines on their websites: (depending on where he's flying from in Australia)

Thai Airways (From Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane)

Singapore Airlines (From Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth)

Malaysia Airlines (From Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane)

Emirates (From Sydney)

Royal Brunei (From Sydney, Brisbane, Perth)

Cathay Pacific (From Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne)

But even the one-way fares on-line are going to be very expensive. It would be probably be cheaper to go through a travel agent in Australia. If he knows someone here, get them to buy it for him and give him the ticket when he gets here.

But 2 things to note:

* He will definitely need an onward-ticket out of Australia when he comes here.

* If he flies out of Australia back to Bangkok, he will need a visa for Thailand or a ticket out of Thailand back to his home country. They will not let him board the plane in Australia if he only has a one-way ticket back to Bangkok but no Thai visa.

Hope this helps.

Not so, these days.

But even so, a one way is generally 65 - 75% of a return.

Exception is the Low Cost carriers (such as Oz's JetStar), where it is possible to book one way at approx. half the return.

Ideal if you want to fly BKK / MEL...via Bali...lol..

Tiger will be able to upate more accurately, as he flew on a one way MEL / BKK yesterday, but I'm pretty sure his one way was approx. 75% of a return

Cheers DC

Yes... forgot to mention Jetstar.

Sydney to Phuket

and

Melbourne to Bangkok (if using 2 engines)

Melbourne to Bangkok via Bali (if using 1 engine)

as DS/DC said...

But he'll still need a Thai visa or onward ticket out of Thailand to board the plane in Oz.

Would the checkin person in Aus really bother to seek proof they have a ticket for onward travel from Thailand? You would just say you have an E-ticket with another airline and they won't push it, if they say anything at all.

Thai immigration is another story, but even there, I've never been asked.

Yes, Baz. They will. Trust me on that.

You will need to print out the printed receipt of an e-ticket from the flight booked on line.

Can just book a cheap e-ticket with Air Asia to Phnom Penh or Penang for example and chuck it later.

But they *WILL* ask.

No, never been asked at Thai immigration either apart from once at the Thai/Malaysia border in Sadao.

Archived