Mike's Diner

Found this new place just open on Silom Road at soi 1, just across from O'Reillys.

It is trying to be an American hamburger diner. It looked interesting, so I decided to give it go. Their slogan is "converting vegetarians since 1979" which I thought was clever. The exterior decor have big hamburger and hot dog models jutting out from the wall.

The menu is OK, with several types of burgers (single, double, beef, pork chicken), hot dogs (regular and chili-topped ala Coney Island), and cheese-steaks. I opted for the double beef burger set meal at B205.

Well, don't go in there in a hurry. I was not, but I was also one of just a few customers and the only one waiting for food. Still, it took 11 minutes to make the burger. They were thin patties, so I thought that excessive. :dunno: But it was freshly cooked just for me, so that's good.

Oddly, they have this American fastfood (specifically In-n-Out) system where you have to go up and get your meal yourself. Well, this is Thailand, AND there were service staff milling about who could have brought it to me, so I found this idea annoying.

The food? Well, I test a burger first without condiments to get an idea of the quality. The toppings (tomatoes, onion, lettuce) were nice and fresh. The cheese was NOT melted as I like. The bun was toasted :up: . The meat was deffo on the cheap side, as the flavour was not great (but not inedible as is Gulliver's burger) and there were a couple patches of gristle. But the nice selection of condiments (including pickle relish!) made it fine. The fries were English pub-style thicker cut and were good, as was the onion ring.

The verdict:

Facility -- 10/10, nice and bright, clean, & shiney

Presentation -- 9/10, looked as good as a diner meal can

Taste -- 7/10, the burger meat could be of better quality, but it's OK

Value -- 6/10, US$6 is high average for this kind of meal in the States (think an In-n-Out Double Double meal), let alone in BKK

thumb_1185791328-PIC032.jpg

thumb_1185791340-PIC033.jpg

thumb_1185791350-PIC034.jpg

Cheers,

SD

Archived