Sad story

FAT_AUSSIE

Well a story it is'nt.

Everything is factual. This post is mere village gossip.

Geh, 27 and his family are and have allways been the closest of friends to my wife's family. His mother Lin is in her early fiftys her Husband Tii the same. Mae Lin is the local Queen of Lao Khao, her husband also up until he recently developed bowel cancer. They have also a very attreactive daughter Meh 21 years and another son Aih 5 years.

Geh generally lives in Samutprakan, he erects steel structures for a living. On Thursday last week he returned home out of the blue in the morning, he asked his mother for money, 35.000 baht. He said his boss needed money to buy materials for a job they wanted to start and told his mother that he would return the money once things got going. He stayed that evening and left early the following morning, supposedly for Sumutprakan. On the Friday, Lin had taken the papers for her land to some sort of local loan shark in exchange for the 35.000 baht. Lin and Poa Tii are BTW on the bone of thier arse, easily the poorest family in our moo bahn. She sent the money to him immediately. Later that evening Lin recieved a telephone call. Geh had rang her from the Uttaradit police station, he was found in a room with 7 other local lads, two of them were in posession of firearms, Geh in possession of 1070 Yaba pills.

My wife told me the bottom line for Geh is more than likely 20-30 years, and probably in Bang Kwang. Do I feel sad for him? Hell no. I do feel sad for his mother and father who are two of the most fucked up allthough nicest people around. I feel sad for Geh's beautiful fiance, she is five months pregenant with his baby. From Issan (ana chalurn??? i think) she has now travelled to Uttaradit to be with Geh's parents. I forget her name but she allready has two children with another Thai man (don't know what happened there) back in Issan with her parents.

There are debts to pay. Never once has thier been a request for money, I'm sure there won't be either. Bail is set at 1.000.000 baht. On top of the 35.000 baht for the land are other incidental debts, mototr bike, etc. everything would total more than fifty thousand baht. With Tii sick Lin too old to work and really only capable of making MAX 150 baht per day the responsibility has really fallen directly onto Meh's shoulders. She has a job working in her boyfriends parents shop and earns 4,000 per month.

The scenario my wife depicts is that he and the others combined enough funds to make a bulk purchace of the pills, scored and had a bit of a party. Later they would have dealt the pills in smaller quantities at a profit.

As you can see the actions of one have brought a disterous effect on not only himself but his whole family including his pregenant fiance. I doubt it but a possible means of sourcing money is for Meh to *go work bar*, her boyfriend has'nt the means to help her. Geh's fiance works in Bangkok manufacturing computer hardware. Without Geh's income she will more than likely give her newborn to Lin and return to work. If she can keep herself, her two children in Issan and her newborn in Uttarait on her income of 15.000/month then she will possibly keep her arse out of the game.

I wish her luck.

Like I said this post is mere village gossip, allthough it is a shock to me, perhaps because of the lies this guy was living or maybe because of the gravity of the offence and the implications.

FA........

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad story but ohh so common,

People involved in drugs do not care if they drag everyone down with them....

I helped a "friend" out here years ago, gave him some money to help his Mom , well you know the story, nothing wrong with Mom , and the money went to drugs ,

I am sure most of the thefts around here are from druggies ,

they steal $1000s worth of stuff , sell $20-$30 of it and throw the rest in the trash because they do not know what it is worth...

Let us know how the story ends, but it does not look like there can be a happy ending :(

OC

Agree with OC on this one. If there is a silver lining, its that he won't drag down his family much longer. That is unless his family takes care of him in prison, in which case, its their choice, and there will be limit to how much more harm he can do them

I am sorry for Geh and his family.

This is a story I have heard many times.

The usual ending I hear is the the lady will go work in the bar, because she has no choice.

This is where I say, bullocks!!!

She has a choice and that is to say NO!!!

Until these dead beat people who suck the entire family down into the mud are firmly told NO, this story will be repeated many times and Thailand will remain a third world country with 1% wealthy and 99% dirt poor (% just to dramatize my point).

!

Until these dead beat people who suck the entire family down into the mud are firmly told NO, this story will be repeated many times and Thailand will remain a third world country with 1% wealthy and 99% dirt poor (% just to dramatize my point).

Problem is the druggies are not thinking that far ahead :(

Its a shame really if it was my girlfriend I "might" pay off the 35k baht debt IF they would leave the kid in Jail and not borrow more money to get him out

I know too many "ifs"

OC

sad, but very common. and i do not feel sorry for Geh, but for his family!

the family would have a choice and say NO to helping him. but this is not according to Thai culture and so the family will themselves drag them down with him...

I think that picture of 1% wealthy and 99% dirt poor is not accurate...

LOS has shown signs of building and growing a middle class especially in BKK, CM, Phuket, khon khaen, etc...

The problem is the middle class is not the backbone as the numbers are still small compared to poor people especially rural poor...

BUt I do not see LOS as the formula above anymore. Yeah, the power rests with wealthy of the wealthy but there is a good size now earning enough not to make waves and are content in their minds...

CB

My Thai colleagues own nice homes, drive decent cars, have mostly been abroad etc. The middle class is growing. My Mrs now makes 30,000 a month as a civil servant and has bought her own house and car. She comes from a rural family where papa drank up most of the inherited money. But there were no deadbeats in the family (except maybe papa, who died long ago). Her brothers and sisters all work at respectable jobs. The wife's older sisters helped her become the first university grad in the family. Now she helps her nieces with their education.

The middle class is growing, though probably 75% of the Thai population would still be considered very poor.

Archived