90 out of180

easyj

hello all,i have read some about visa,still confused.i qualify for a retirement visa,but not ready yet.

i will visit thailand by october,want to stay as long as possible,to see if it is for me.

is it better to get tourist visa before i arrive,or just come and get 30 day stamp and then go across border for a longer stay?i am from u.s.a.,i would like to stay up to 6 months. thanks easyj

I believe it would be best to get a triple entry tourist visa from a Thai Consulate or Embassy in your home country. You are still required to leave Thailand every two months. It can be as simple as a day trip to the border to renew if you want. I get my triple entry visa from the Thai Consulate in Vancouver for $120.00. The process here in Canada is generally seamless; about three weeks. I arrive in October and stay 5-6 months in Thailand.

Best to review your situation before mailing off so quickly. Unless the Consulate you are dealing with is hopelessly behind schedule, you may be applying too early. Contact the consulate and ask for their guidance. There is a visa application form to be filled out which can usually be downloaded from a Thai Consulate web site. They require a passport photo, and your passport. If you were quoted $90.00 U.S. for a triple entry visa, this is a good deal.

If you are over 50, probably best to apply for 1 year multi entry "O". All Thai consulates will give this with minimum paperwork. All you need to is prove you are over 50 and wish to explore retirement in Thialand. Do not apply for a O-A, which is a visa that gets you a 1 year entry stamp, but requires the paperwork be submitted to consulate, getting the extension in Thailand is easier.

That will give you 90 days entry stamp as many times as you want for year and you can do the extension to a year once you have 800K in bank for 3 months.

The 90 out of 180 rule does not apply to visa entries.

Archived