Thai Movies

Nervous_Dog

Thai movies are aimed mostly at upcountry folks. That's why they tend to be slapstick or else melodramas. Plots seem to run the gamut from A to B.

Though plot B can be pretty entertaining at times: boy meets girl, boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl again translates into MonRak Transistor in Thai, which is pretty great, I think.

YimSiam

Mon Rak Transistor is totally bizarre. I don't think there really is a plot. Still, it's fun to watch. Sort of like a Thai film put together by Woody Allen.

:p

p.s. In Plot A, the girl dies and the guy kills himself. The Thais all leave the theatre in tears and say the film was great!

:(

Does anyone know where in BKK I can buy a copy of "P"?

I'd love to see it, but can't find it.

Where's Wearth when you need him? He'd know for sure.

I really liked the recent comedy "Mae Na Rok" (I think that's what it was called - "Bus From Hell") which was about a hijacked bus in Bangkok during Songkran.

If anyone's ever caught the bus in BKK regularly, you'll really relate to it. Even if not its a damn funny movie. :D

I played in Mae Narok muay yok lor :)

As to a copy of "P" I wouldn't know, I know the director though and one of the actors in it.

Thai movies do not get brought out on VCD or DVD with subtitles anymore because of the copyrights that have to be paid to the translation companies according to one movieproducer. They have to pay 3 or 4 times as much he explained if they stick the subtitles they use in the theatres on the cd's. And they feel it is not worth that. So it is a hit and miss with recent movies as far as subtitles are concerned.

Waerth

Archived